Monday, November 20, 2023

Buttoned Up

The last time I talked about the body pillow knitted cover, all that was left was to attach buttons to the back to close it up.

When I was planning how to finish this off, buttons were the obvious choice. But, I did not knit button holes into the piece. I figured with the yarn as bulky as it was, I could find buttons that would easily fit through the knitting. 

I went out and bought large buttons.

And they turned out to be too large.

But when I figured out how big the buttons should be, I realized that I had those buttons in my stash.

Those are vintage buttons. Which should be obvious when you see the price was 29 cents.

I attached them while watching The Gilded Age.

I'm not 100% satisfied with how this whole thing turned out, but I was determined to be done. Except, while writing this blog post, I realized that I could make extra buttonholes (by crocheting a loop along the edge), use the large buttons, and perhaps close this up better.

This is good enough for now. If I choose to do this again, I would start all over and just get enough yarn to cover the whole thing. But, I'm contemplating redoing those buttons. Maybe.

It'll be January if I do. For now, this works. 

I have other projects to keep me occupied for the foreseeable future.

The pillow cover's progress in blog posts:

26 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful buttons! I love that package too. Very, very vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so squishable! I wish I had it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pillow looks great. Like Lisa, I really like the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely works as is. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is an interesting system for close this clothes and It works with eficience really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 29 cents, those were the days! That's when sewing patterns were 35 and 50 cents. Long long ago. I think crocheting the loop is a good idea. That's probably the route I would go if I were making it. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, maybe. I'll decide if I'm going to change that later. For now, this works.

      Delete
  7. Interesting how a pillow cover gave you a series of blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any project that takes more than a week (which is most of them) will give me all sorts of blog fodder.

      Delete
  8. 29 cents - these buttons may be almost as I am! (Well, probably not as old as I am). This must be a record for "most posts from a single project" which isn't a bad thing, especially as you may have at least one more post coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likely not. I just don't always collect them into a list of all the posts. Like, I should gather all the posts for the seven (and a half) years cardi.

      Delete
  9. I wish I had a sewing machine here in Florida. There's quite a few projects popping up. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, I thought I wrote here last night. I think it looks really good and most feel comfy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comment is not in spam, so maybe some weird glitch? I've had times when comments I typed just poofed after I hit "publish".

      Delete
  11. Your cover is beautiful, Liz. Cool buttons, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done Liz - I too like the vintage buttons ... glad you've finished it - even if it is only until minor alterations next year - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.