Thursday, November 23, 2023

Thankful 13

As this is a vacation week for me, I am on my "summer schedule". (Subbing posts return next week.) I spent way too much time trying to come up with a topic for the Thursday 13, but then the obvious choice occurred to me. 

I mean, Thanksgiving? (Sometimes I wonder about myself.)

So, yeah, 13 things I am thankful for, in no particular order:

1. Vaccines. While I did get Covid (for Christmas last year), I was very fortunate to get what felt like a cold. Have you had your flu shot? Your updated Covid booster?

2. Time off. It's so nice to have a week off of work every so often. And it's only four weeks after this until winter break.

3. Streaming services. I've been lamenting the lack of ideas on what to watch on TV, but that's a me problem. There are so many things I could watch. It's just a matter of choosing. Currently, I'm working through Doom Patrol. I'm open to suggestions on what I should watch after I finish this.

4. Hulu got PBS. I accidentally stumbled upon this a week or so ago. One thing I missed when cutting the cord was PBS. I love NOVA. And the Ken Burns documentaries. There are a couple other series that I like to catch. (Miss Scarlet and the Duke.) There's even a knitting show that shows up from time to time. But I had to use the app, and that was awkward. But now, it's streaming along side all the other channels on Hulu, and that's just wonderful. I'm so thrilled.

5. I'm caught up at work. Well, for the moment. That could change. (I must say these things so the universe doesn't get any ideas...) Normally when I'm doing a long-term subbing gig, I would be using any time off to try to get caught up with things (lesson planning, grading, etc.). But when I left school Friday afternoon, the Monday we return was ready to go. The grading is up to date (except for the kiddo who turned in a packet just before the end of the last period, but that's a problem for next Monday). And anything I need to do can get done on the Monday we return.

6. Ice cream. Yeah, ice cream. I'm grateful it exists. 

7. Chocolate chip cookies. Okay, now I'm just making myself hungry. But if ice cream doesn't appeal, I can turn to chocolate chip cookies.

8. A cool fall. We've had years where it's still blazing hot in October. We've cooled off nicely this year. Sure, we had a bit of a rain scare last week. (Rain's not necessarily scary, but they were promising days of rain. We got one day.) But I've put away the Capri length pants and I'm almost ready to change out my bedding to winter sheets. 

9. I have someplace to go for Thanksgiving. It would not be fun to just cook for me, and I really do enjoy a turkey feast. (I probably won't be around the internet today, but I'll likely be back tomorrow.) 

10. Scheduled blog posts. I write these usually on Sundays (although most of this week's posts were completed earlier). Then I set them to post through the week. It simplifies a lot to not have to write blog posts all week long. 

11. Knitting/crochet projects I've started. I'm glad to have something in progress. Starting things just takes so much mental energy. It's nice to have things to work on.

12. My water tumbler. I have this insulated tumbler I bought from Target a couple years back. I have it constantly beside me at home. It's filled with water. I like how it keeps my water cool all day long.

13. Today's topic. I really, really had no idea what to write about today until what I'm thankful for popped up. This is the last blog post for this week that I needed to complete, and now it's done. I'm quite happy about that. 

(Yes, I have a post scheduled for tomorrow, but I wrote it several days ago.)

What are you thankful for? 

19 comments:

  1. I love ice cream too. And a lot more things on your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be grateful for the simple things.

      Delete
  2. I'm thankful for a lot of things. My health. Having a warm house and dinner in the oven (not cooked by me!) Transportation. Health care. Chocolate. The sun trying to come out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I forgot chocolate! *shakes head*

      Delete
  3. I'm thankful for chocolate-peanut butter bars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I'm thankful that we no longer travel for holidays, though my family might be disappointed. But I've offered to host Thanksgiving to no avail. ~shrugs~ Meanwhile, I have a silly one: this ongoing Mystery Science Theater 3000 marathon. Heh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly? Did you see my list? The most mundane things are the things we are most grateful for, I think.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely got my COVID and 'flu shots! Also my RSV, because I'm old enough to. I love chocolate chip cookies. I make terrible chocolate chip cookies. Any other kind, great. I've been trying for years, different recipes etc. I made some the other day. Nope. Too cakey. Got a recipe? I usually resort to oatmeal chocolate chip, they turn out fine. Great idea for Thursday Thirteen! I wish I'd thought of it. Happy Thanksgiving. (I'm making lasagna, it's just me and my youngest, and he isn't a big fan of turkey.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "My" chocolate chip cookie recipe is actually my mother's, and she just modified the usual Toll House one. Half butter, half margarine. Half wheat flour, half white flour (and add more--1/4 cup if memory serves). And more vanilla.

      Delete
  6. All good things to be thankful for. I haven't had the most recent Covid shot but plan to get it next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ice cream. And add an apple pie. Gravy. Good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream. Yummm

    ReplyDelete
  9. 👍🏻 to so many on your list including ice cream, cookies, vaccines, time off, and so glad to know Hulu has PBS programs (will look for them now).. And hope to be thankful for scheduled posts soon..
    My post is here

    ReplyDelete
  10. and oh 👍🏻, i got both my flu and covid boosters earlier this month..

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.