Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Took the Gig

It's gotten to the point that I don't look too closely at assignments when they pop up in the scheduling software. If I see it, I grab it, and then I examine it after. 

(Although, I can stop complaining about how hard it is to get jobs. It's a challenge, sure, but I've only missed a couple working days so far, and I'm currently booked until December. Of course, I'm booked because I accepted a long-term gig, that I'll talk about when it starts, but still, I'm good.)

It was Monday, and I had nothing booked for Tuesday and Wednesday. Then, within about twenty minutes, a gig for Wednesday popped up followed by a gig for Tuesday. I grabbed them as soon as they alerted on my phone. Then I looked at them.

When the teachers input their absences into the system, they can add notes. Usually it's the lesson plan. Sometimes, though, they add other things, like if the class is co-taught or if something weird is happening that day. 

For this assignment, the note read: "This will be period subbed by Special Ed teachers on campus". 

Huh? If the day was going to be period subbed, why put it into the system? If it's in the system, someone, like me, will pick it up. (It's not like the last couple years when there weren't enough subs to go around. They hired a bunch at the start of the school year. That's why getting gigs has been a bit dicey.) 

I debated. I could always cancel the assignment. But, would something else pop up? I wasn't willing to risk it.

As it was a special ed class, there was an instructional aide. And she was quite surprised to see me. The teacher hadn't bothered to write out a lesson plan as she had told the special ed teachers who she thought would period sub the class what was happening.

I guess me picking up the job threw a wrench in the whole plan.

(It wasn't a hard day. The government class learned about the Magna Carta and other ideas that got incorporated into the Constitution, and the world history class read a thing about the French Revolution.)

Ah well. I guess the sub shortage has changed the way teachers approach days out. But things are turning back around.

21 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that things are turning back around. Hope you made it through your Halloween at the middle school experience all right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not being a hard day was good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking up challenges is actually living one's life to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably not a good idea to assume a job put into the system won't be grabbed up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all ended well, though, and that's always good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, seems like there were assumptions made and not a lot of thought put into it. Glad you're getting work, though, and that you've got a long-term gig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot of planning put into period subbing. Too bad it wasn't needed :)

      Delete
  7. More subs than needed? Hope that doesn't mess you up too much. Like you said, grab while you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems we have more subs around now. I think we're all needed, though, really.

      Delete
  8. At least you got the day. You know, my day is chaotic, but I don't think I could function with the uncertainty of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Liz! Sounds like you did great anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like there shortage of lot of professions.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope there is plenty of work to go around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to stop complaining, because I've been working consistently.

      Delete
  12. Glad you were able to pick up some jobs which means money and that is always needed.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.