Monday, November 27, 2023

Starting Over

When I started crocheting the Ruffle Tree, I had an idea. I could take a picture each day after I finished bands for the tree, thereby documenting my progress. (I took pics of the first two bands, but not in place, a couple weeks ago.) 

Those first two bands: 

I had this idea after I had completed two more bands. So, I took the first picture, and then I placed the second two bands and took this second picture: 

You'd think me taking the two pictures in the same sitting would make the pictures look similar, but no. Sigh.

I took the project to work. I have one of those assignments where I have a lot of sit around and watch the kiddos work time, so I needed to keep my hands busy. The great thing about bringing crochet projects to work is that I can drop them in a second and help a student when they need it. Then I can pick the project right back up.

I was able to complete two bands a day. That's great progress.

Then, the Friday before Thanksgiving break, I took a look at the last band I completed, and I realized something. I made a mistake. 

(I omitted a round. In each band. Because rounds 2 and 3 are the same, somehow in my head I didn't realize I had to do it twice. I think I might have gotten it right initially, but by band 5, I was just omitting that one round as a matter of course. Until I stopped and looked at the pattern. Sigh.)

And, I decided that I was going to have to start over. 

It wasn't just the error that caused the decision. Missing that one round isn't terrible, although having that round does make the tree look better. (I've since this done them correctly, and I can see the difference.) As I was working those bands, I realized a couple other things.

First, I realized that there was a better way to cast on each band. Rather than using the usual chain and then doing a round of single crochet, foundation single crochet would work perfectly here. It's stretchier. And it makes it neater. (Although that round isn't really seen.) 

Once I discovered the mistake, I thought it would help me not make that mistake again. I was wrong.

Then, the other reason starting over was necessary, was that I was going to run out of yarn. The yarn I was using was vintage. And I could tell that I was going to run out of yarn before I could finish the project. There are ways to introduce a different yarn...

But, if I wanted to remake the cast on anyway, and I had so many that I had done wrong, I might as well start fresh.

So, I did.

I anticipate this not taking all that long to complete. I started my second try on Thanksgiving Day. And other than forgetting that one round (again!) it went pretty well. (My first try was practice. Kind of like swatching.) 

19 comments:

  1. Good that you noticed the mistake before the project was done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you caught the error and realized the yarn situation before you were too far along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any one of the three, and I would have figured out a different solution. All three was like, "Might as well start over".

      Delete
  3. Stretching sounds better. I doubt we could tell the mistake, but you'd know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. If it was just a matter of the yarn, I'd've figured out something else.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear that the project is moving along quickly after you discovered your mistake and fixed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it was a practice run then, to make it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still say you're very talented. ~nods~ Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you have to start over. I really can't tell any difference in the bands. But running out of yarn is a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a choice. You'll see the difference in the new version.

      Delete
  8. It that time of year, when people thinking of Christmas trees.
    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have the heart to work on in spite of mistakes... That's the great part. Your work looked pretty sweet to me. But I'm no judge of Ruffle trees since we don't have them over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crochet, so it shouldn't look like anything truly real.

      Delete
  10. You know what you like and want, Liz. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often, I'd rather start over than live with visible mistakes. It's a personal failing.

      Delete
  11. I can't see the problem but I'm glad you saw it before you went further. I like the green colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a minor quibble. And no big deal, really. But I can see the difference now, and I like my redo better.

      Delete
  12. It's so satisfying to redo and like the result better than the previous. I don't crochet often, but thank you for sharing the link about casting on, it looks great. Have fun crocheting, and please do not take care about my previous comment about the trunk, here it is ! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.