Friday, November 3, 2023

Bike Parking

Because of tall fencing around the school campuses, when I get to leave early (due to having a last period prep--yay!), I have to walk out the front door of the office and around the school to get to the parking lot. (When I leave at the end of the day, gates are open, so I can walk through campus to get to the parking lot.)

The current school schedule gives me more opportunities to get out of work early. (Don't worry. I still get paid for a full day.) And, there's something that I noticed every time I had to walk around the school. I've been meaning to get a picture of it, and last week I finally did.

Thursday

Friday

I got the shot so quickly on Thursday that I did not notice my shadow in the way. (There were students I knew standing there, and I didn't want to explain what I was doing.) So, Friday, I decided to take another picture. And then I realized that having two pictures really shows it.

The sign reads "DO NOT PARK YOUR BIKE HERE". And that student parks that bike under that sign every day.

Every. Day.

I'm not sure who I'm laughing at. The student? Or the sign poster? Because, seriously? There are ways to figure out who's doing it. And the student just doesn't care.

There are two other fenced in HVAC units at the front of the school. They also had signs on them. (One of those signs fell down.) And they also had their very own bikes regularly parked there, but not lately. 

There's just one student holding on.

(There is a fenced in bike parking area. With bike racks. And I'm sure they lock the thing during the day, so it's way safer than the front of the school.)

12 comments:

  1. I like to think of myself as a bit rebellious but that's just disrespectful to the maintenance staff. The bike should be confiscated just like an adult's car gets towed. Then the kid could earn it back by doing a little 'community service' like picking up bits of trash around the grounds. A tiny bit of humiliation might go a long way toward learning some appreciation. What do you think? Does my idea seem draconian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd have to take that up with administration. I assume someone's monitoring that situation, but who knows?

      Delete
  2. Civil disobedience. If someone goes to the trouble of putting up the sign, why don't they enforce it? Or perhaps the sign was put up by the bike owner (notice the duct tape installation) so that others would not steal the spot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of like the sign on my neighbors lawn asking people to not let their dogs go on their lawn. Has the opposite effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this sort of ridiculously blatant violation of regulations happens only in my country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've met teenagers, right? Teenagers do this sort of thing everywhere.

      Delete
  5. This reminds me of my small neighborhood park. There is a sign near the entrance that clearly states "No dogs". People exercise their dogs there (many unleashed). I realize the town can't enforce it easily and dog owners need a place for their dogs to exercise (we only got our first dog park-not in this park-a couple of months ago), but after one of those dogs jumped on me (it wasn't attacking and I wasn't hurt) last year, I tend to avoid the park if I see unleashed dogs within. That doesn't seem right, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a pretty funny picture and is definitely something I would do...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself chuckling every time I walk by.

      Delete
  7. A sign poster? Where? I can figure that the student just doesn't see it ;))

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.