Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Holiday Décor

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

So, with everything *gestures wildly at the world* going on right now, it's no surprise that I've been made aware of many Jewish people who have decided not to decorate for Hanukkah this year (at least outdoors). And I find that sad. And infuriating. And probably smart. But most of all, I find that wrong.

But people suck, and we can't trust them to behave like reasonable citizens.

Which leads me to this week's "what if?" question. (I don't actually expect anyone to do this, but what if?)

What if we all decorated for Hanukkah this year, at least, the non-Jewish amongst us? It would make us a target, but maybe we need to direct some of that anger and anti-Semitism away from those who have gotten way too much of it.

9 comments:

  1. That would be gutsy. Although in my small conservative town, we might be safe. But it's just sick what is happening right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fiancee told me she doesn't want our house to be a potential target. I told her I understood her point of view and will respect her wishes. She told me that, since we'll get married next year, she'll be happy to take my last name.

      Delete
  2. I tried to convince her to put our Hanukkah decorations up, but sadly no luck. Now, while I'll still put up my Christmas decorations, my heart breaks for her. I did ask to wear some piece of jewelry with a Star of David on it. That will happen.
    Tragically, too many people suck. Luckily, they're a tiny majority. Unfortunately, even one nut in a thousand can wreak horror.
    Stay vigilant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a brilliant idea! My husband was raised Jewish. There's not much point buying outdoor Hanukkah decorations in our peaceful suburb however, a true blessing, of course. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sentiment behind the idea is a great one, however I'd feel it was inappropriate, being a religious occasion and my not being part of that. I've never seen outdoor Hanukkah decorations, other than a sad little menorah placed downtown every year. I even try to keep my political leanings private around here, I live in one of the Oregon conservative pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recall, some years ago, that the city of Billings, Montana faced a rash of anti Jewish attacks. The newspaper, after a couple of years of this, published a picture of a menorah for readers to cut out and tape on their windows. This city has very few Jewish residents but people taped it up. The haters attacked some of the homes of those who taped up the menorah so more people taped it up. I just read an article online that said they estimate 6,000 residents displayed the picture at the peak of the demonstration of solidarity. No arrests were ever made but the attacks stopped. For our times, this may be too simplistic but I wonder what Billings will do. Hanukkah begins sundown on December 7.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about putting the decorations all over the lawns of those who are protesting? Now that would be funny...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, I want to do this since some people need to smarten up! I can't stand this injustice

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my Muslim-dominated country, that would be unwise and unsafe. But it's just sick what is happening right now.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.