Friday, November 10, 2023

The New Gig

A couple weeks ago, I was offered a long-term gig in a special ed social studies class. That job started last Friday.

I'm vaguely familiar with the class. I covered it in December three years ago. Yes, 2020. At that time I was subbing from home.

On Friday I started off class by introducing myself. The classes knew that Mr. B would be out as he was having surgery. (He's due back the last week before winter break.) They were a bit surprised that he was already gone. (I'm sure he told them when he'd be out. This is kind of standard when it comes to student reactions.) 

It was sixth period. I did my intro, mentioning that Mr. B was out until December. One of the students remembered that he was having surgery.

"So, when he comes back, he'll be able to walk?"

Mr. B is in a wheelchair. I don't know what caused his paralysis. (I've never asked.) And I don't know what he's having surgery for. But I highly doubt that some surgery (that he's only going to need a few weeks to recover from) is going to miraculously make him no longer wheelchair-bound.

And I don't think Mr. B even part way hinted that this would be the case.

I had the student repeat the question for Ms. P, the class' instructional aide. I let her answer. I didn't want to ruin my rapport on my first day.

So far, this class seems pretty mellow. Which is good news for me, not so good news for the blog. We'll see. Hopefully I can find something interesting to blog about for the duration.

13 comments:

  1. It’s going to be an interesting class, isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, kind of. The topic is interesting. The students are mellow.

      Delete
  2. At least it's coming from a kid. I've heard stories about adults who don't know any better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help wondering if the kid has seen too many super hero movies. As for your blog, I've no doubt you'll have stories. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kinda blank for next week right now. I don't know if I have anything interesting to talk about from this week.

      Delete
  4. I hope the sorta perm gig is a bit more normal and calm for you. I'm sure even if it is, there will be stories cause kids.......well you just never know what they're going to do or say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I'm already struggling with what I'm going to write for next week.

      Delete
  5. Nice to teach in an easy class, even if you will not have a lot of material for your blog! It's time to stop by the yarn shop ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes mellow is good even if not good for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a long term assignment is a good thing right now.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.