Thursday, November 9, 2023

Forgeries

Thursday. Seventh period. Seventh grade world history.

The class was calm. Cooperative. I gave instructions, and they got to work. 

Then, fifteen minutes later, seven or eight students walked in, five of them with hall passes. And inwardly, I groaned. If only they had stayed gone...

I know. That's terrible of me to say. But they were all the troublemakers. The loud ones. The ones who couldn't stay seated and weren't doing any work. (This was my third time with the group as I had gotten an almost complete week.) 

Once I got them sort of settled (as settled as they were going to get), I went to amend the online attendance. I went through the passes. 

On all but one pass, "not excused tardy" was scratched out and "excused" had been written. 

It was the way that the "not excused tardy" was scratched out and the way that "excused" had been written that was noteworthy. They had scribbled out the "not excused tardy" as if they were trying to blot it out, but they did a terrible job of it. "Excused" was very light and in block letters (unlike how the counselor had written the pass). It looked like they had used the outside walls as a hard surface on which to write.

I did not believe that for a second. I marked them all tardy.

One of the other late students (who hadn't bothered to bring me a pass) told me that they shouldn't be marked tardy as they had been locked in the new building on campus. 

I nodded. And I marked him tardy.

Because that's another thing that didn't pass the smell test. While all the classrooms lock to keep people out, none of them lock from the inside. I've been in the new building, and I know that if you're in the building and you want out, you can easily get out. There are many exits.

They don't realize that I've been around a while. They were definitely trying to get one over on the sub. Too bad they tried in on the sub who knows her way around that school.

22 comments:

  1. I like the way you don't even confront them concerning the forgery and just mark them tardy. It probably saves a lot of useless arguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I say "okay" a lot. There's no need to argue with them, especially when they're not going to change my mind.

      Delete
  2. They are not the brightest bulbs are they? Glad you marked them down as tardy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7th graders? They have no idea how much they don't know. (They think they know everything.)

      Delete
  3. "If only they had stayed gone." While, maybe, technically wrong...oh, yeah. I definitely have had those thoughts once or twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I should want them to be in class, right? But sometimes things go so much better when the troublemakers are not in class.

      Delete
  4. I really want to know if they actually thought any of that would work. Just out of curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids! They sure think they can pull one over on the teacher. Glad you didn't fall for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really thought I was green, I think. They even asked if it was my first day as a sub.

      Delete
  6. Busted! I sometimes wonder how many of those "let's try to fool the sub" end up becoming teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting question. I have no idea.

      Delete
  7. I feel a perverse consolation. My students don't go to such extents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sub thing. They wouldn't have tried it with their regular teacher.

      Delete
  8. I did groan about my clients at times.
    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. That was me. lol But I wanted to add that you shouldn't feel bad for wishing the troublemakers stayed away. I imagine the other students would agree.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, they didn't look happy when the others arrived.

      Delete
  10. thecontemplativecat here This isn't your first rodeo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. They do. They don't grasp that we were their age once.

      Delete
  12. Hi Liz - oh yes ... kids believe they're smart - sad they're not able to realise we've been round the clock and know their ways! I'm glad you were able to sort them out - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.