Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Save Them

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

A couple weeks ago I read a fantasy novel where the main character had a choice to make. There were some men who had their consciousnesses put into the bodies of various creatures. This character could give them back a regular life, only these men would have had to take over the bodies of others to do so. Oh, and those that wanted this character to do this used violence as a persuader.

I thought it an interesting choice. So, anyway...

What if you could return someone to life (after they were killed), but you had to sacrifice an innocent bystander to do it?

9 comments:

  1. In literature resurrecting the dead never seems to work out, the price is always too high or the person doesn’t want to come back. So I think I’ll pass,

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not an innocent bystander. Never.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. I've read enough SF in my life to know that something like this could never end well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I agree with all the above comments, I feel that nobody is innocent beyond infancy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I knew this person to be innocent, then no. But otherwise...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that the theory behind the Netflix show Altered Carbon?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope. I wouldn't do it. Life wouldn't want this in my humble opinion

    ReplyDelete
  8. No. That would be very unfair to the innocent bystander! Who knows who that person was, or could become? Or what repercussions their death would cause? It would be very selfish on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, never just a bystander who is innocent. It wouldn't be fair.

    Keep these fun questions coming, Liz!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.