Friday, November 17, 2023

Fight Fight Fight

It was the Thursday before a three-day weekend (for Veteran's Day), and so, of course there were more teacher absences than subs available. I was asked to cover a class on my conference period. As I wasn't scrambling for anything, I was quite happy to help out. (It doesn't hurt that I get paid extra for covering another class.)

I had a choice, so I picked the class that was closest to the room I was in the rest of the day. (Mr. B's classroom is kind of back of beyond compared to the rest of the campus.) It was chemistry.

It was the first class of the day. I got a chance to chat with Ms. N before she left. (She was chaperoning a field trip.) She mentioned that the class was small and her best behaved. 

I recognized a couple students from success seminar last year. (Not problem students, like Kress.) 

As advertised, they got to work and weren't an issue.

Because of the weather, I had left the door open.

It was more than halfway through the period. Suddenly, a cacophony of voices erupted somewhere outside. It was such a sudden change and loud enough that we all knew what was happening.

A fight.

I've been proximate to enough of these to recognize the sounds. As had the students. Someone noted that it sounded like a fight. After less than a minute, I heard a golf cart speed by. (Security all drive golf carts on campus.) 

The thing that I didn't expect? Not one student moved from their seats. 

We all heard it. Usually, half the class would have run to the door to look out and see if they could see what was happening. This time? Not. A. One.

I was so shocked, but I said nothing. I didn't want to give them any ideas.

The noise quieted down fairly quickly. I assume several security descended upon the fight and removed the combatants. That's generally how these things go.

The chemistry students continued to work on their assignments. (They were practicing dealing with significant figures.) 

I was so impressed by them not reacting to the fight that I made sure to mention this in my note to their teacher. They deserve kudos for things like this.

21 comments:

  1. Enjoy this minor miracle. It may never happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, your class was better disciplined than a lot of adults!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would have run to the window. So that is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No windows (well, they're too high up), but the door was open...

      Delete
  4. What a great class. Not a reaction (or lack of) that I would ever expect from kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! And good on you for giving them due credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They deserved kudos for not being sucked in by the sounds of fight.

      Delete
  6. Must be something they've seen before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this, crochet art site, when trying to see how to eat my backyard shaggy parasol mushrooms.

    https://mymodernmet.com/marianne-seiman-crochet-art/

    ReplyDelete
  8. They didn't want to get involved. Put your head down and keep your nose clean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were far enough away that they wouldn't have gotten caught up in it.

      Delete
  9. Sometimes it's best to keep to yourself. People are funny and don't always favour those who say something unfortunately. Loved this post.https://www.bauchlefashion.com/2023/11/why-real-real-is-number-one-place-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing to say. Security showed up, so the culprits were dealt with.

      Delete
  10. A group of serious students! Or just not interested in gawking. I do remember those fights! Everyone did want to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serious? Sophomores? Nah. I'll go with not interested in gawking.

      Delete
  11. That was really nice of the students.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.