Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Oddly Named

The following conversation is real, although not quoted verbatim. The names have been changed (as I always change their names), but the gist of the debate remains the same.

"Kress? What kind of name is Kress? Who comes up with such a name? It's a vegetable, not a name." 

Kress said that at least his name wasn't spelled like the vegetable, but the other boy said a couple things more about Kress having a "special" name. I was trying to get a word in edgewise to put a stop to this, but then...

"Okay, mm-why-kel. Who spells Michael, M-Y-K-E-L?"

At which point, Mykel got upset. He looked to me. 

And I looked back at him. And shrugged. 

"You just spent how long making fun of Kress' name, and now you're upset?"

Because, seriously? Mykel got off easy considering what he was saying to Kress. 

Freshmen. *shakes head* 

13 comments:

  1. That's hysterical! Can give but cannot take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blame the parents for being so stupid with the names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They can dish it out …

    But Crazy names …

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should reinstitute my "Student Name of the Week". I discontinued it because it felt racist, but if I account for that...

      Delete
  4. So, the unusual spellings continue. My late childhood best friend, who taught 4th grade in New York City for years, had a lot to say about that practice. But the "can dish it out but can't take it" is as old as humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, man...don’t get me started. Look at my name. I love it but I have been called everything and, when I was a kid, a name that I still feel upset about. You say my name something like Get beer but Beer get but more like a German would say it Bier- git...a hard G not soft. I have been called...Brigit, Brigitte, like Bardot, Burgette, beergut, beernut, butgut, bitgit, and then the foods...Bagel, baguette and, my fav, bruschetta. I have also been called Gretel, Ingrid, Deirdre and Margueritte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure. I've heard from others who have unusual names that they have to constantly correct people and it gets old. If only parents realized this when they get "creative" when naming their kids.

      Delete
    2. My name is not unusual in Europe and I am very proud of my name. I hate it when I had old broads tell me " What kind of name is that?" Or worse " Your mom must not have liked you." Yup I hot that too. Pissed me off. To ve blunt

      Delete
    3. Understood. Why do people make comments about others' names? Some people suck.

      Delete
  6. Hi Liz - 'names' are a challenge ... I get their 'hassle' - but need to look at both sides of the coin - i.e. each other's names - sad ... especially for these kids - take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. You’ve got a novel, Liz. This is great dialog.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.