Wednesday, October 19, 2022

No Longer High Tech

When I got the lesson plans for last week, there was a question in them. "Is there a way to play a DVD in the classroom?"

Yup, we have technologied our way out of DVDs. Everything is online nowadays. The computers no longer have DVD players in them. 

Mrs. B wanted me to show them a video. She had it on DVD. It is streaming someplace, but that would have required a subscription that neither of us had. 

Because streaming something is easy now. I have a computer that I can plug into the projector that's mounted to the ceiling. The speakers are also installed in the ceiling. 

I just needed to find a DVD player. 

I called the library.

Hunting down a DVD player was doable, but would a media cart work? 

Roughly a decade ago, the media cart was the go-to for showing videos in class. This was before they upgraded the tech in all the classrooms. 

Yes, I said, a media cart would work. And so, on the days I needed to show the video, I had this in the classroom: 

It's a DVD player connected to a projector with a speaker on the bottom tray. It's plug into the wall and go. 

Did the students watch the video presented? Of course not. But I was able to show the DVD.

18 comments:

  1. This was so interesting for reading how you hunted DVD player and succeeds in that and how you connected it. I don't know when was the Ĩlast time that I watch something on DVD, but before I always watch movies form DVD-s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's too much trouble to pull DVDs out anymore.

      Delete
  2. I've lived through so much technological changes, I'm probably at least three changes behind. Just think, we still have a DVD player in the house (which we rarely use).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a DVD player and DVDs in my house. But I wasn't about to cart it to school and figure out how to connect it to the projector.

      Delete
  3. I guess I can remember not watching the movies shown in class also when I was in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a good kid. I watched the movies and documentaries.

      Delete
  4. My car has a CD player and I still have a few CD's that aren't too scratched to work. That's what I listen to, unless I use the radio. I come from the time of vinyl only, then 8 tracks, cassettes, CD's....I still have a walkman, from way way back, because it is battery powered, headphones, radio, still works, although I have no working cassettes I could play in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have some cassettes, I think. Alas, I don't have a cassette player. I remember vinyl.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if you can torrent educational materials...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My car doesn't even have a CD player, at the time I didn't even own one! Now, the lack doesn't matter at all. We still have a DVD player and even a VCR. I watched the movies in class. But, I know in middle school some students actually passed pills around in the dark. They didn't do so well by high school. I hope they turned their lives around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be surprised if some of this group was passing pills around...

      Delete
  7. I miss my DVDs. Before moving overseas, we saved all of them onto VUDU - a streaming service that also acts as your DVD library. But it can't play the extras! I loved watching videos with the director's commentary, and all the little mini-documentaries that went with it. I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have to be out there somewhere. I have no idea where, though. I'm sure someone does.

      Delete
  8. Wow! I would have nto clue how to set that up and no idea about streaming to be honest. We have a huge DVD collection and watch them all the time. I also have a cd player and a cassette player plus a record player all in one system. I miss those and wish they made this equipment again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I've seen these things in various catalogs. (I get the "old people" catalogs due to my feet, although I guess I'm old now.) So, if someone was motivated to find it, they could. (I only had about 2 weeks warning, and I wasn't going to buy a DVD player that I'd use once for school.)

      Delete
  9. Oh gee, I’m really a sawtooth tiger now. Do the media people still have a clunky film projector on hand? I never could get that to work.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.