Thursday, October 20, 2022

Ditcher

Austin is in fourth period. Every day he asks to use the restroom. And every day he takes way too long (like 20 or more minutes). And almost every day I've called security to bring him back. (Some days I get busy with other things, and by the time I notice he's been gone, he returns.) 

Since we're on a block schedule, I only have him two or three times a week. So, it hasn't really been that many times. But last Tuesday, I was done. I had to get security to retrieve him, and upon his return I said that was it. For the rest of the school year, every time I have him in class, he would not get a restroom pass from me. 

So, what do you think the first thing he asked me for on Thursday was? 

Nope. Not happening. 

Other students advocated for him. How could I deny him the use of the restroom? That was illegal. Etc. 

I had warned him...

Towards the end of the period, Austin approached me. He really, really, really, truly had to use the restroom. He would only take five minutes. And he would leave his cell phone in my custody. He offered his wallet, too. 

Against my better judgement, I let him go...

...And he returned in five minutes, on the dot. 

Nice. 

The next day was an "odd" day (I didn't have fourth period). On my free period, I walked out of my classroom to use the restroom. Who did I run into? 

Austin was strolling along the sidewalk with three of his buddies. 

He said hello. I asked him where he was supposed to be. I then asked him why he wasn't there. 

Did he head in the direction of his class? Of course not. 

That boy will find any excuse to get out of class. So, will he get a restroom pass from me next time? Probably. But as I know he can get back in five minutes, he's going to have to convince me that he will. 

I have a feeling I'll be calling security on him again.

16 comments:

  1. I do I think he will become your future president.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personality wise... But then again, he's not white, so that might have some impact on a certain party's endorsement.

      Delete
  2. Yeesh, these kids sound exhausting to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leaving collateral for the bathroom pass is a good idea, but I suppose administration would not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back in the dark ages, hardly anyone was permitted to leave class to go to the bathroom. You were instructed to use the bathroom inbetween classes. Though that was often a problem when having your period. Problem is, you don't know if they have to go or not. Could have a medical problem I suppose? Don't envy you dealing with this for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, I only have to deal with it for one more day. The problem is there really isn't enough time between classes, especially when there are long lines in the bathrooms (and lots of students). And the periods are an hour and a half.

      Delete
  5. Sadly, you probably will. It makes me wonder if Austin really has an underlying medical issue but, unfortunately, has chosen the path of behavioral issues to deal with it. I hope so many of these students you deal with with behavioral issues end up growing out of them - too bad it isn't while you still are trying to educate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's looking for a way to just stroll around campus. Mostly. But yesterday he made it back in six minutes, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I only have him one more time for this class. We'll see if I run into him again in another of his classes. (I've now covered 2.)

      Delete
  6. Does all school in California has security? I don't believe are does.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess there is no punishment? Back in my day, three strikes and detention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there's a matrix thingie that we're supposed to track stuff on, but I don't know the ins and outs of it. I'm leaving all the info for the regular teacher, and she can administer some fitting consequence for it all.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. As he's been able to keep to five minutes, I don't think that will be necessary. Especially since I am now done with the class. Woo-hoo!

      Delete
  9. We couldn't get away with this back in my days! I studied in a convent school and we would have been punished severely!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.