Tuesday, October 25, 2022

What's Gone Before

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder.

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news.

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉 

This week I'm cheating and pulling something I found from Twitter. I saw this tweet: 

And I was fascinated. (There's a whole thread that spells out the idea and hints at a story. It's worth your time.) So...

What if we got out into space only to find the ruins of another space-faring civilization? 

10 comments:

  1. That would be interesting. Similar to the Orville episode I fell asleep to last night. It was the robots in that episode, I am just not sure of the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean Isaac's people? In that case, there weren't ruins. The robots are still around.

      Delete
  2. Then I know that there are other's out in space, but I would have to figure that maybe they are disguise and walking among us on earth.....you know, 3rd Rock from the Sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They came to Earth? And left ruins of their civilization in space? I suppose there's a way that could have happened...

      Delete
  3. I could ee thst happen. We have seen that on more than one Star Trek episode. I wouldcwantbto learn more about the civilization like we do now, about ancient Egypt and Greece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would we have space archeologists? Yeah, I could see that.

      Delete
    2. Ughh, I wrote my comment on my phone.

      Delete
  4. You know what I am going to say, so I'll go ahead and say it: I've read some good stories and books based on the "what if we find the ruins of another spacefaring civilization". The one that immediately comes to mind is the Heechee/Gateway series by Fred Pohl, especially the first book, Gateway. I haven't read the Twitter thread - I know in my heart that we would go exploring with it (and try to reverse engineer the technology we find, for better or worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no new ideas under the sun. It's just how you use those ideas...

      Delete
  5. That would be interesting. What if the ruins were of us in another dimension.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.