Friday, October 21, 2022

Fact Checked

As I have done at the beginning of every period, I was standing at the front, checking the roll and verifying that the students were in their assigned seats

"Brynn, go back to your assigned seat." 

Brynn: "I have permission to sit here. I emailed Mrs. B, and she said I could change my seat." 

The prior week I had an email exchange with Mrs. B about the quarter grades. She informed me that she might be hard to get a hold of for the next week as she would be out of town. 

Plus, whenever Mrs. B gave a student permission for something or other, she included me in the exchange. 

Brynn was lying. 

Me: "I'll need to see that email..."

It took a bit longer before Brynn finally went back to her assigned seat. But I got what I wanted, and Brynn's name got added to my very long list of "student behaviors" that I started keeping on the first day I took over the class. (And I shared the Google Doc with Mrs. B, so she's been able to read it the whole time she's been out.) 

When they sit next to their friends, they play. This is why they lost the privilege of getting to choose their seats in class.

16 comments:

  1. That's going to be one long list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's huge. I think it ended up being over three pages long.

      Delete
    2. I just checked. It's six pages long.

      Delete
  2. "The stupid sub will never think to ask for basic proof that I have permission to change my seat!" (five minutes later) "How could my plan have gone wrong???"

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were in my day pretty hard on subs. But now with this tech it would be lot harder to pull wool over teacher eyes.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA....keep pushing don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As hard as they possibly can.

      Delete
    2. Funny thing about that is they honestly think they are the smartest ones. That these little lies they tell and trying to pull things over on you, they think they came up with it...lol

      Delete
    3. Oh, I know. And when you tell them that one is older than I am, they don't believe you. So, you just catch them out in subtle ways.

      Delete
  5. Kids ... but it's the way it is ... I'd be having heart palpitations at their behaviours - but I guess you know how to cope. Cheers - peaceful weekend ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh.. so many little little things, simple things they make into a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Has anyone behaved well enough NOT to go on the list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. There were some students who did well. And others who kept their behaviors discreet enough that I didn't feel they merited inclusion. It's never everyone.

      Delete
  8. The lyrics “It’s an ever ending love for you” came to mind when I was reading. What if, like in the movies, you suddenly burst out with that song in reply. haha

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.