Thursday, October 6, 2022

Not How That Was Supposed to Go

The class is success seminar. It's basically a class for social-emotional learning. In theory, it's a great idea. Pretty much the entire campus could benefit from some of the lessons.

However, the students who were put in the class are the ones who are falling a bit behind and whose grades could use improvement. 

The lesson of the day was how to make a good first impression. 

I had a slideshow. They had a worksheet to fill out as we went through the slides. I pointed out what needed to be filled out when we reached the points in the lesson where they had to take something down. 

And still, for the most part they weren't paying attention. There was a five minute video. Before the video, I told them that they were to answer a question on their page. I showed them where on the page the question was. Then I played the video.

After the video, I told them to answer the question. "What question?" I pointed it out. "Where's the video?" You mean, the video I just played for you? On the big screen? That you all ignored? 

*facepalm*

So, when we got to the activity, I was not holding out much hope.

They were to do a "speed dating" thing where they would greet a fellow student and make a "first impression". The partners would critique each other, writing this down, and then we'd repeat. They were to have three different partners. 

So, I explained what they were to do. I pointed out what they'd fill out on their papers. I went around the room and assigned students to "rotate" and students who would be "bases". I asked them if they had questions. And then we got started...

Yeah, it was a train wreck. (I hope that video works. If it does, those kiddos were way more on target than my kiddos were.) Maybe a few students had understood my instructions. The rest had been talking over me as I explained. So, when it came time to do the thing, they didn't know what thing to do.

I learned an important lesson. Skip the activities. I mean, I knew it would go badly. I didn't realize how badly it was going to go. 

At least, I shouldn't attempt such things until I've gotten them to listen to me and take me seriously. So, yeah, skip the activities. 

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's a mix. Many 9th graders, but I've got 10th, 11th, and 12th in each group as well.

      Delete
    2. I would have thought they could do the activity.

      Delete
    3. They should have been able to. But they don't listen, so when it came time to do the thing, they didn't know what to do. If they had listened to instructions...

      Delete
  2. Next time try a megaphone. Maybe that will get them to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny video! Kind of hard to make a good first impression when you're oblivious to what's going on around you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I tried to hammer home. But they're too oblivious to realize this.

      Delete
  4. The video made me laugh! It's always funnier when it's happening to others than it is to you! it's a shame that the day didn't go as planned!

    Hope you are having a good day today :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I retweeted it on Twitter because I thought the video was hilarious. I thought it was hilarious because I knew exactly what they meant about giving instruction.

      Delete
  5. It was a good idea, you gave it your best. Next time they could do word searches? You are a brave teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm following the lesson plans provided by the teacher. I'd rather not wing it. If I give them too much time, they find ways to fill it. Not good ways.

      Delete
  6. What they don't get, pay attention and the activity would be FUN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. This. But they've already tuned me out because I'm a sub, so therefore I can't be doing anything worthwhile.

      Delete
  7. That video was funny! I wonder how the students would react to that video if you told them that is them.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.