Wednesday, June 5, 2024

The Mad Scramble

It was Tuesday of the penultimate week of school, and I was back in Mr. J's class.

This was not a surprise. When I took the long term assignment, I was booked for the initial two months, and then these last four days of May. Before leaving the class, on the transition day, I asked Mr. J about it. He confirmed he was taking this week off. (Something about his wife going back to work. He didn't give much detail, and I didn't ask for specifics.)

In anticipation of this reprise, I didn't return the classroom key nor did I return the tablet I checked out for use in the class. I left it on campus, in a cabinet in Mr. J's classroom. (Technically I could have taken it home as it was checked out to me, but I felt more comfortable leaving school tech at school.) 

Before the weekend, Mr. J had emailed me the lesson plans. I went through and printed out the pages I'd need. I perused the lesson just so I was ready. 

On Tuesday, I made sure to leave a bit early so I could retrieve my borrowed tech and set up for the day. (While on the long-term, I tended to leave things ready for the next day as I tend not to be all that alert first thing in the morning.) 

Everything went according to plan. I got checked in, got into the classroom, set up my tablet, and got things ready to go. 

Only, there was a small problem.

The pages I had printed were not the pages containing the notes the students needed. 

Mr. J had sent me a copy of the students' notes. But the copy he gave them and the copy he gave me were not the same. 

(In my copy, pages 15 & 16 were notes on finding the area of regular shapes. In the students' copy, pages 15 & 16 were notes on finding the volume of prisms.) 

Oops. 

I knew there was going to be some hiccup. I'm fortunate that it wasn't a bigger deal.

As luck would have it, I had previewed their online assignment and found the pages that contained those notes. I printed those as well. And it turned out those were the notes I did need. 

Once I figured out where the glitch was, things went smoothly. I got through their notes, and they got a chance to work on their last new assignment for the school year. 

The next class period they would get the study guide for their final test. (The teacher isn't giving a final. The last chapter test is the last test for the class.) 

The school year is almost done. Well, actually, by the time you read this, it will be done. Today, June 5th, is the last day of school (although I'm always a week behind on the blog, so this week I'll continue to have subbing stories). 

26 comments:

  1. Fun, fun, and more fun. Takes a certain person to be able to teach, or work at a daycare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like that was a thankfully small hiccup. Hope you get to have a nice summer break (are you off during the summer?). My kids got out last month on the 24th, and I give them a daily task list with stuff like "find math applicable to your grade and do it" or "do a science project". Yesterday, I had them write me a story of at least 10 sentences. My son told the tale of a yellow guinea pig named Pineapple, whom he rescued from a cat. Meanwhile, my daughter's story revolved around the cat stalking a lemonade stand. At least they are staying engaged, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so you've got plans to keep them busy. Sounds great.

      Delete
  3. Those "little" glitches make for some very challenging days in the classroom.
    https://cleemckenziebooks.substack.com/p/welcoming-june

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the plan for holiday? The school is over, you say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad the glitch wasn't a bigger deal.

    Congrats on making it through another school year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made for an interesting glitch.
    Last day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thing you're so careful about stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made it through the school year. No more hiccups for a little bit (in case you end up working for the summer break). Hope you get to take a well deserved rest of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon. I am currently sitting in a classroom, working the last day of school. (Woo-hoo! I did not know I'd be working today until 10 PM last night.)

      Delete
  9. I imagine you deal with a lot of hiccups as a substitute teacher. Glad it didn't ruffle your feathers too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiccups are a normal part of subbing. It's pretty much what my blog is about :)

      Delete
  10. I couldn't teach children or work in daycare. My one and only babysitting job included my mother's attendance. The little girl was sweet but as a young teenager I already knew this type of employment wasn't for me. lol Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Older kiddos are easier. At least, in my opinion.

      Delete
  11. You were completely prepared, really. Congratulations on completing another school year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Same pages but the wrong pages - of course!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to summer.
    Incidentally, I'm with you. I would have left the tablet at school, as well. No telling where it would have ended up if I brought it home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not afraid of losing it or anything, but it just felt wrong to take it off campus.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.