Thursday, June 20, 2024

Technical Difficulties 13


Last week, the first week of summer vacation, I was sick. Well, I caught this cold (or whatever it is) the weekend of Memorial Day, and it's been lingering on ever since. I probably would have gotten better sooner if I had taken some time off work. But the last two weeks of school? Yeah, no. I pushed through.

What does that have to do with a Thursday 13? Consider it background for what's been going on.

1. Landlady decided she wanted to switch out the Wi-Fi. She was looking for a cheaper option. And we haven't had a moment of peace since. (We left Frontier Fios and went to Spectrum.)

2. The install went okay. (I got to do it.) But after, getting devices (like my computer) to connect to the Wi-Fi is hit or miss. Mainly miss. Basically, most days after logging onto my computer, I have to unplug the router and let it come back. Then I can connect to the internet.

3. Although, sometimes I have to do this twice...

4. I live in a condo complex. We have a mail room. I went to retrieve the mail one day to find a note on the box. Broken. Must get mail from post office. Deep sigh.

5. Roommate when to post office to get mail. They told her it would be a week until they could get someone out to fix it.

6. A couple days later, I managed to run into the postal carrier. She was very nice, and she explained that it was actually going to take two weeks as when they condensed our area to be part of the greater Los Angeles area, they no longer had the staff nearby to do the job (and likely fewer of them anyway). What was wrong with our mailbox? The key the mail carrier uses to open it to feed in all of our mail got broken off in the lock. (No one is sure who did this.)

7. It did, in fact, take about two weeks. In that time, I went down to the post office twice to retrieve mail (as I didn't want it stacking up). 

8. Landlady switched out our router three (or four?) times to try to fix the connection issue. She also had a couple technicians come out to fix things. (This included getting the streaming TV to work, too.) It turned out that the person who signed her up signed her up for more than she really needed. So, certain things were taken out of the package. This shouldn't have influenced the Wi-Fi, though.

9. Although, the Wi-Fi seems to be strictly a computer issue. The TVs work. My phone works. But getting the computers connecting... Although, landlady has had issues getting her phone to connect to the Wi-Fi.

10. And the Alexa Echo device. Landlady likes to play music. Her Alexa wouldn't connect to the internet, even though it worked just fine before. We tried uninstalling and reinstalling. We tried factory reset. She went to visit family out of state, and somehow her grandson got it working, although that didn't translate to the home Wi-Fi. 

11. She finally got it working after finding that her phone still had it set to the grandson's home. But why didn't it work before? That's still a mystery. (Especially as there are two other Alexa devices on the Wi-Fi that continued to work just fine.) 

12. I went to turn on my TV, and it wouldn't turn on. Just... nothing... I unplugged and replugged it in. Then, in desperation, I pulled out my old remote. (I bought a new rechargeable remote a couple years back.) It turned the TV on. I had to reinstall the "new" remote, and it apparently had 5% of charge remaining (which was very weird as I had just recharged it not a week ago). Deep sigh.

13. So, with all the internet issues, landlady has decided Spectrum isn't worth it. Now it's just a matter of switching the internet again... *ducks head*

23 comments:

  1. A new internet provider is eventually going to come to our neighborhood. It's been installing fiber optic service in a neighboring city. They were supposed to come years ago so I' not holding my breath. I don't think I'm going to switch if it ever comes to our neighborhood - ugh. Ugh. Ugh. We have Spectrum. It could be worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have issues with Spectrum dating back to 2000. Yes, I'm still angry about things from 24 years ago.

      Delete
  2. I hope the old internet company doesn't charge you more when you come back. I have Spectrum, and Hunter is always, ALWAYS, knocking on my door to try to get me to switch to their glass fiber optics. I don't risk changing. Too soon to know how Hunter does. My son's research says the signal gets weaker the farther from the main box/whatever it gets, and if all the neighbors are signed on. Hunter says that is not true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, trust your son's research over the company's party line. If things are working, why change?

      Delete
  3. Ugh, I find all of that very frustrating! And now you have to do it all again, I hope it goes more smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been switched back to FIOS since Tuesday, and I haven't had a lick of trouble. *knocks on wood frantically*

      Delete
  4. We’ve been having issues too. We use Verizon Fios, which is one of the biggest providers in the area. I’d like to switch to another provider but Drew is brand loyal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you still have Verizon. They were lovely when they were Verizon. But then they sold the FIOS stuff to Frontier, and things were a mess in the transition. (I alluded to some of this in blog posts of the time.) It's settled somewhat, but we're still all rather cautious about them, waiting for them to screw it all up again.

      Delete
  5. So that was the drawn out story you mentioned. How exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just love technology?
    Two weeks to fix the lock with the broken key? That's absurd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is absurd. But that's what happened when they downsized the post office.

      Delete
  7. Ah, the joy of first world problems. We can relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it has been a few weeks of first world problems.

      Delete
    2. I wish you all the best going forward.

      Delete
  8. Spectrum seems like they're always a pain to deal with.
    I hope you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have stories. And they're not good stories.

      Delete
  9. That is a lot of technical difficulties!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I felt stressed just reading your post, so sorry you had to go through all this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, you poor thing! When your wi-fi and even your snail-mail are messed up, you must feel so vulnerable and isolated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much, really. It was just irritating.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.