Thursday, June 6, 2024

Working the Study Guide

Thursday. Second period math.

Mr. J wasn't giving a cumulative final. Their final test was to be the last chapter test of the school year. And to prepare for that test, Mr. J had left a study guide. 

(Ms. L, the co-teacher of the other math classes, showed me a copy of their test. The study guide was a problem for problem duplicate, the only difference being the numbers used in the problems.) 

I gave them the study guide. And I prefaced the period with, "You know how you get the test, you look at it, and you go blank? And then you tell me you don't know what to do? And I tell you I can't help you? Today, I can help you."

Many of the students took advantage of this help. 

They also were able to utilize their notes. They had a formula sheet that they could use on the test, and they were making notes on that. So, they were making good use of their time.

As was Ava

Ava was on it. She was working through those problems. Asking questions. All of it.

At the end of the period, Ava asked if she could come back during lunch for help with the last bit of the study guide. 

Part of me snarled. This girl... She could be little miss attitude so much of the time. But when she wanted something, she was as sweet as could be. 

I kept the snarl inside, though. Because I'm the adult. 

Ava did return at lunch. I did help her with the final three problems. And she did seem to understand what she was doing.

I really do hope she does well on the test. Her grade is still hovering between D and F. She could (barely) pass the class. That's on her. I won't deliberately tank her chances.

(When I'm grading things, I don't notice the names on the papers. Seriously. And if I do notice, I won't mark something off for students I don't get along with. If they give me the right answer, or even if they get in the ballpark, I will give them the score they earned.)

11 comments:

  1. Hi Liz - seems like the right attitude for a teacher to take ... and as you say good for Ava - and I hope she gets through ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’ll have to let us know how she does on the test

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 72%. And her final grade was a D-. So, she just barely passed the class. (Although, I think they need a C if they want to take the next level up.)

      Delete
  3. At least she's trying, for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least she didn't have an attitude today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She needed something. And I wasn't pushing her to do something she didn't want to do. Hopefully she'll grow out of that attitude. I've seen it happen before.

      Delete
  5. I wish all teachers acted impartial. ~nods~ Having been treated generally decent as a young pupil, I never forgot other kids' pointless ridicule.

    For example, I am sure "Dumb Danny" endured a sad life worsened by Mrs. (Sauer) Kraut's vitriol. My older brothers also recalled this vicious woman's vial kindergarten (!) denouncements.

    The current, somewhat prevalent, and egregious condemnation of "privileged" straight white male students disheartens me. Why shatter spirits and fracture society?
    Ah, well. What can you do? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard sometimes to not snarl at students. I've had my days. Some teachers should not be, though.

      Delete
  6. I hope Ava improves her grades. I've seen students change their attitudes when something good happens beyond the usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she's young yet. I've found that 11th grade tends to slap them about a bit. When she gets through that...

      Delete
  7. Most people grows up. And become find people.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.