Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Uncomfortable Lesson

Friday. Second period. I was doing the trig lesson which was kind of a review. The previous period was cut short due to state testing and a fire drill, so they had never gotten a chance to practice the problems I talked about on Wednesday. So, I was going over the material again so they'd know what to do when they were working on the problems.

Because I was going over notes they already had, I was having the students give me answers. I'd ask what trig function I'd need to use for a specific problem. Then I'd have another student plug the numbers into their calculator to give me an answer.

It was going smoothly. 

Ava was over in her seat, laughing. Clearly on her phone. So, of course I called on her.

"I don't know." 

I pointed out to her the information she would need to answer my question. It was on the TV screen behind me. I moved the notes so the pertinent information was visible. I made it bigger, too.

"I can't see it."

I told her she could move.

She refused.

She basically refused to even attempt to answer the question. 

After a bit more back and forth, I got the answer I was looking for. (If I recall correctly, I was seeking "cosine". That's all.) And then I moved on.

Ava's been requesting me to check late work that she's done (because she refuses to work in class). And she's got an attitude with me. I mean, do students not realize that they catch more flies with honey? 

Sophomores... They haven't quite matured yet. Close, but not quite there.

Although, I won't be surprised if Ava ends up at the continuation high school. She's got that way about her.

I hate confrontations like this.

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

the letter U rendered in knitting

17 comments:

  1. And I wonder if you'll run into her at the continuation high school, assuming she does end up there. Coming attractions, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If next year is anything like this year, I won't just because I haven't been to the continuation high school all that much. That's the trade off when I do these long term assignments.

      Delete
  2. I remember being a freshman and a bit afraid of the sophomores! They tended to get an attitude once they weren't the newcomers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, some of them really have attitudes... I think some of them are going to be really surprised when they're not on track for graduation.

      Delete
  3. Phones are a lot more interesting than cosines, I have to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophomores have attitude. Unfortunately it’s often self defeating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. Then junior year hits them in the face...

      Delete
  5. thecontemplativecat here. Sophomores, sigh. Not in the upper ruling class, but trying to be them. this lady will have some real problems in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will. Or she'll mellow. I'm curious to see which it'll be.

      Delete
  6. One of the skill sets being learned that age - how much do I have to for others before I can have fun for myself? Before then it was "I want mommy/teacher/adult to be happy" ... now at 15, you are very close to an adult. Do you get time to concentrate on your own happiness? What is selfish and what is martyrdom? Where on that spectrum is "healthy"? Only way to find it is to push the dial to 11 and down to -1.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope someone goes beyond to find out what her issues are. What I remember, I always wanted to make the teachers happy with me by answering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I daren't attempt it. She's prickly. When I talk to her one on one, she resists me. Which is fine. I hope she finds someone she trusts.

      Delete
  8. Aren't they called sophomores because they aren't mature yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where the name comes from, but yeah, not mature yet.

      Delete
  9. I can't imagine how hard it is to work with kids with bad attitudes. I don't think I'd have the patience for it
    Debbie
    AtoZChallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I'd say a good third of my job is dealing with teenage attitudes. Maybe more.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.