Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Oblivious Student and the Test

Second period integrated math 2. (Sophomore math. It used to be geometry before they changed the sequencing.) This is the one period that isn't co-taught, so it's just me and the 22 students. (It's a small group.)

Malakhi sits right up front. He's frequently late if he shows up at all. He asks to use the restroom and then is gone for twenty minutes. (The restroom is just around the corner, about two rooms away.) While I'm teaching, he is usually on his phone. Or asleep. And when they have time to practice the problems, he is again on his phone or asleep.

On Thursday the class had a test. On Tuesday I went over a study guide with basically all the same problems that were going to be on the test. 

On Tuesday, I emphasized the point: "Now's the time for any questions. If there's anything you don't understand..."

Malakhi spoke up. So, I re-explained the question I had just done. I solicited more questions. No one asked.

Thursday. They had had the test for maybe ten minutes when Malakhi asked to use the restroom. He was gone his usual twenty minutes. 

He returned. And then he slept. 

The students finished the test and turned it in. We were in the last five minutes. Malakhi still had his test. It was time to collect it, as he was the only one still with a test. 

Malakhi: "I don't know how to do this." 

His test was blank.

Deep sigh.

If I had not been available for questions, that would be one thing. (I discovered the secret of getting questions from the students--find the ones who are struggling and offer my help. It's kept me busy.) And the rest of the class has gotten better about actually asking for help. (Me: "Don't sit there stuck. Ask. This is literally my job.")

But Malakhi? Even when I hover, he doesn't ask. That's mostly because he isn't attempting the problems.

It's no wonder he doesn't know what to do.

But I can't do it for him.

(He expressed the same sentiment after the last test. I had not been in class to teach those lessons, though.)

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

the letter O rendered in knitting

14 comments:

  1. Poor Malakhi. His missing out is his own doing, and not asking for help. Still, poor Malakhi because he's going to sink deeper and deeper. Especially in math. I probably say that because math was my weak subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. And I suppose I should hover over him more and solicit questions. Because he can do this. If he puts his mind to.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's hard. I can't do it for them, and some of them won't do it.

      Delete
  3. That really is a shame. If he asked for help or applied himself, he wouldn't struggle so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can’t help someone who doesn’t want to be helped

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite a challenge. If he doesn't say or ask anything then we are sort of helpless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thecontemplativecat here. What can I say? This boy has some problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's more focused on his athletics than schoolwork. Unfortunately.

      Delete
  7. You can't make someone want to learn. Or, at the very least, make them want to learn in a school setting. But it's your job to try. If only there was a magical answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do what I can. But I can only do what I can do.

      Delete
  8. Sad story, but he's far from the only one to act like this :(

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.