Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Chemistry Lessons

It is spring break, so that means I go into vacation mode here. (Last week's subbing stories will appear next week.) And on Wednesdays, I talk about something I watched that I would recommend.

(For A to Z I cheated a bit to fit the letter of the day. Sorry, not sorry.) 

Lessons in Chemistry streams on Apple TV Plus. I heard about it at about the time I discontinued my subscription, but knowing that eventually I'd subscribe again I kept it in mind. The good news: that means that I don't have to wait for new episodes to drop weekly. That doesn't mean that I've finished the season, however. I'm only about half way through.

The show follows Elizabeth Zott who is a chemist in the 1950s (the show seems to span the '40s through the '60s). Through some misfortunes (and here I mention the content warnings as those misfortunes include her r*pe and a later sudden death) and that fact that she's female in the '50s, she ends up hosting a cooking show. 

I understand that the show is based on a book

So far, I'm rather enjoying the show. Whether I end up loving it or am more ambivalent will depend on how it ends. 

This is the official trailer: 

Has anyone else seen this show? (Please, no spoilers.) Has anyone read the book? Do you subscribe to Apple TV Plus? (I recommend if for no other show than Ted Lasso.) Does anyone have any good TV recommendations for me?

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

the letter C rendered in knitting

25 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting show. I don't have an Apple TV+ subscription, but I've been eyeballing it because I want to watch Argylle. The reviews say the movie isn't that great, but I'm still interested. It says it's coming soon to Apple TV+ but I don't know when that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beware of coming soons. It could be a month. It could be a couple months. I would say that it is worth a month's subscription even if Argylle doesn't turn out to be any good. My top recommends are Ted Lasso, Severance, and Mythic Quest (a workplace comedy).

      Delete
  2. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com): I don't have Apple TV either, and I liked the book. I'd love to see the series. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it now because I got a new Apple device, but I had subscribed for a month to get caught up on a couple series I started. And then unsubscribed.

      Delete
  3. No to all of your questions! I never took chemistry either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never had to take chemistry? Wow. I thought it was a requirement.

      Delete
  4. Hi Liz - I read the book ... and thoroughly enjoyed it - but I'd enjoy seeing the show ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know they'd made the book into a series. Thanks for letting me know.

    https://cleemckenziebooks.substack.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the book. It actually took me two tries - I abandoned it and then went back to it a couple of months later. The second time around (after I got past something that would be a spoiler to mention) I loved it. I don't have Apple TV but supposedly my cable service is starting to offer it at no extra charge. I'll have to check into that. I've wanted to see Ted Lasso since first hearing of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do but I haven't watched. Bummer I know she dies in the end though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said no spoilers! Yikes. I'm not there yet.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you're enjoying the show. I don't have Apple +. I read Lessons in Chemistry recently. It's a really good story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, I've not read the book nor seen the show.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is unfamiliar to me, as well. I hope you do enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see what my final assessment is after I finish it.

      Delete
  11. I've seen Lessons In Chemistry. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on it when you finish it.

    I liked Slow Horses on Apple, and now we're watching Constellation. So far I'm a little bored with it, but here's hoping it improves.

    Also, I adore Ted Lasso.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll probably sign back up with Apple when Severed comes back but will wait for the whole season for this same reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, agreed. It's the best way to do it, if you're subscribing just for one or two shows.

      Delete
  13. This is Birgit…I have not seen this and don’t know about this lady but it sounds really interesting. I’m watching Apples don’t Fall Far with Annette Bening. It’s quite good and a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard of this book but didn't realise it was on Apple. Which I don't have by the way, thought have often thought about it.
    https://haverfordwesthistory.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth it, but I'm fully on the side of "subscribe for a month or two and then cancel".

      Delete
  15. I need some TV recommendations too. My antenna is picking up much of anything right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to recommend things with all the various streaming services.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.