Thursday, April 4, 2024

Delving into D-Posts 13

It's spring break, so my subbing stories from last week have been pushed to next week. That means the blog is open for a Thursday 13. But, it's also A to Z April, so what can I make a list of that corresponds to the letter D? How about thirteen previous posts that start with the letter D?

(I spent the better part of three days trying to figure something out, so this is just going to have to do.)

Just for fun, I started with the earliest posts on this blog. While these aren't the first thirteen posts with titles that start with D on the blog, they're probably in the first twenty. 

1. Duplicates, February 21, 2008

This is the day I had four Brittanys in class. Each one with a different spelling. 

2. Denied, February 27, 2008

Just when I thought I was going to get out of work early, an extra assignment popped up. Sigh.

3. Due East, April 6, 2008

The students had a different mnemonic to help them remember the cardinal points on the compass.

4. Designing on the Fly, May 3, 2008

I knit a sweater without a plan. This was me talking about it in progress. If I recall correctly, the sweater that resulted didn't feel right on to me, so I ended up giving it away.

5. Doin' Nuthin', May 9, 2008

A familiar story: student does no work and finds ways to continue to do no work.

6. Due Process, July 27, 2008

About another pair of boys who did no work in class. Sigh.

7. Drenched, August 4, 2008

This was a day when the air conditioning was broken--in the middle of the summer. This teacher did not remain working for this school for much more than a year after this.

8. Drinking Game, September 17, 2008

This comes from the days when we were having our kitchen remodeled, back in a home I no longer live in. Sigh. I don't miss the days without a kitchen.

9. Do Not Talk to Aiden, March 31, 2009

I instructed a class not to talk to the student who needed to hunker down and get some work done. This went better than expected (although not great). 

10. Deny It Like You Mean It, April 2, 2009

One in a long line of stories where I see a student do something, and yet they still deny it was them. (The school no longer does International Day. Although, they've now started something less international-y and more spring-y.)

11. Discombobulated, May 19, 2009

This day went sideways with a change in assignment and an earthquake. Just all in a day's work, really.

12. Dangerous Delivery, October 7, 2009

This is one entry in a series I called "skunk sightings". Luckily, I never got close enough to get to test whether tomato juice helps with the smell, but I was always worried about it.

13. Dreamy Hermes, February 9, 2010

While a 7th grade English class watched The Odyssey, a girl developed a crush on the actor playing Hermes. 

It's funny to read back through these old posts. Some of these days I remember. Some of them I do not.

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

the letter D rendered in knitting

33 comments:

  1. Thursday 13 is a new blog hop to me. It looks neat. A list of 13 things. That had endless possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it's great fun. And it doesn't get nearly as much attention as it deserves.

      Delete
  2. That was clever! Double D Day! Isn't discombobulated a great word? I don't know if it's an actual word, a family word, or what, but my mother used to say (and I wouldn't know the spelling!), discombooberated for the same meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard that word before, but there are goofier words that are actual words so I wouldn't discount it.

      Delete
    2. I definitely feel discombobulated on a regular basis. lol Be well!

      Delete
  3. In just thirteen posts you can see what a variable life you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com): I've been wanting to do the Thursday 13 blog hop, but Haven't been able to come up with a topic. Maybe after A to Z is over next month. I'm not sure how many posts I'll be doing this month outside of A to Z, except maybe on Sundays when we're off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had days where I do the first random 13 ideas that pop in my head. 13 mini stories, if you will.

      Delete
  5. For some reason, and I don't know why, I always find the D post challenging. Maybe next year, if I'm still doing A to Z, I'll use your idea. It was clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J is the one that tends to flummox me. I totally thought I had it this year, then wrote the post and "Jitters" no longer worked. Sigh. I made it work, though. Through sheer grit and determination. (This'll make more sense next week.)

      Delete
  6. LOL at the mnemonic for EAST! Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liz. Hopped over to you blog. The assorted 'D' post was a smart rehash. Enjoyed it. As a first timer in this challenge, I'm amazed at how creative the community is. 'D' didn't come to me easily either.

    arpitamisra.blogpost.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this had been a work week for me, it wouldn't have been a problem. Work posts find their letter of the day in the strangest ways sometimes.

      Delete
  8. Well that's a take on throwback Thursday that I was not expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A friend of mine once talked about a story she enjoyed reading and forgot she'd been the writer. lol These things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your writer's filing system!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look like a good challenge. I might give it ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's an ingenious solution to the problem of D :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a fun little blog going. I'll be checking on some of these D's. Blog on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! It's amazing how long you've been blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cool way to marry A to Z April with your TT! I bet you had a blast looking back on 2008.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit odd looking back at those posts. So many things have changed. So many things are the same.

      Delete
  16. Fun post! I can relate with the first one, and having four girls not totally with the same name, but very close: Léa, Leia, Leila...

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is Birgit…love all the D’s you have done…some of them seem quite funny.

    ReplyDelete
  18. loved your take on the thursday 13 with the letter d.. I also take part in both a-z and this one (as often as i can)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.