Monday, April 22, 2024

String Lights

Saturday. I needed a take-along project, but what did I have to work on? Nothing, really.

And then I saw a picture flash by of someone wearing a necklace that looked like string lights...

String lights... That starts with an S. Perfect.

Regular readers may recall last year that I found some patterns via Pinterest for Christmas. I started this crochet pattern for string lights. But then I got sucked in by a Christmas tree, and the lights fell by the wayside. 

Now's the perfect time to pick this back up. I finally got all the red bulbs that I had made attached to "sockets":

And I made a bulb in pink (and also attached the "socket"):

Now I just need to figure out where I'm going to hang this (during the Christmas season, naturally). That will help me determine how many bulbs I want to make. That's the major reason this project hasn't gone anywhere. 

Because once all the bulbs are made, I then make a long string/wire, and then I attach the bulbs to it. But how long do I want the string? How many bulbs will I need? Until I know those answers, I'm kind of spinning wheels when it comes to making bulbs.

Then again, each bulb doesn't take too much yarn. I can use scraps for this. So, if I have too many bulbs, I can make another string light project for somewhere else. 

And then where does it end? Hence why I've been a bit flummoxed by what to do with these. 

These are questions for another time. Or, at least until the answer presents itself to me.

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

the letter S rendered in knitting

19 comments:

  1. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com):
    Clever! Now your Christmas lights won't go out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look grand and can wait till Christmas next. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely for Christmas - I miss those big old bulbs on the Christmas tree...
    https://how-would-you-know.com/2024/04/soybeans-and-a-solage.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how they made this pattern so that it looked like the old school ones. That's the best part.

      Delete
  4. They are very, very cute! I hope to see a long strand at Christmas in a rainbow of colors! (I only say that because the all red ones were mistaken, by me, as strawberries until I read the post!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started making red, but I can make all sorts of colors.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I love finding these sorts of things on Pinterest. So many clever people with clever ideas.

      Delete
  6. The red ones would also work as strawberries during the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I somehow thought you had finished this project. I would have been crocheting this years and years ago when I went on a Christmas decoration streak but probably not now. Still working on my temperature afghan, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, it fell by the wayside. It's a great summer project, though. Small. Portable. Not like a blanket... ;)

      Delete
  8. Crochet Christmas string lights...my mom would've loved that! Definitely something she would've tried to make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute Christmas lights, I can see them hanging on a wall, all around a mirror, or around a tree ;) The pink one calls for a green light!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.