Friday, April 19, 2024

Quarterback Dreams

Sixth period computer science. It's considered a career and technical education course (CTE). 

During the first week of this long-term assignment, Mr. J informed me of a job fair the school was hosting specifically for the CTE students. So, instead of attempting to teach them computer science (which I know next to nothing about), I got to spend some time teaching them job hunting skills--writing a resume and interview skills. 

I got them set up with an online course with video slideshows and questions about interviewing. (It's a program that the school's CTE department uses.) 

Several students informed me that they had already completed this course in another class. So, I took down their names so that they wouldn't lose points for not redoing things they had already done.

It took me a couple weeks to connect with another teacher who could verify that those kiddos had, in fact, completed the course. While I believed most of them had...

Melvin sits in the front of the room. He's frequently late, and he often leaves class early. (He has track practice, which is likely true.) 

The first assignment they completed with me (they started it before I got there) was a career exploration slideshow. They were to answer the usual questions: what the job entails, growth potential, salary, education required, and such. 

Melvin's job? Professional football.

(I am rolling my eyes here.) 

Does Melvin have the potential of becoming a successful professional football player? Of course. But...

When I took down the names of students who said they completed the interview skills online course, Melvin said he had. 

When I talked to the teacher who could verify who had done this, he could not find Melvin's records. 

The next class period, I let most of the students know that I had verified that they had completed the course. (They had, in fact, completed the course with the teacher who I checked with.) Then I told Melvin we couldn't find his records, so if he could just go and see that teacher...

I told him to go and see that teacher right then. Melvin declined. (Reid, who sits next to Melvin, snickered at him. He mumbled something about getting caught in a lie.) 

I get the feeling Melvin has decided he's going to be a famous football player, and right now he's biding his time until he can get there. I also think it's not going to go the way Melvin thinks it's going to go. 

I could be wrong. I don't think I'm wrong.

(The schools in the district have produced some famous athletes. I know of one that you've likely heard of--he actually has been in the World Series. But they didn't rest on their laurels in high school. That's why I'm so dubious about Melvin.)

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

the letter Q rendered in knitting

16 comments:

  1. I don't know for sure, but it seems that pro players get their starts as outstanding college athletes. Melvin needs to be an outstanding high school athlete with good grades! Do the schools still make the athletes keep up their grades to play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do. Which is why I wonder about Melvin as his grade dropped quite low for a bit there.

      Delete
  2. My daughters went to high school with a young man who is now somewhat famous as an NBA player. Everyone had a feeling he’d go far. But such students are few and far between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those athletes tend to be well-known on campus. Again, something I don't see in Melvin.

      Delete
  3. They always think they'll be the one out of a million chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked for several years with a woman whose son became a major league baseball ballplayer. I don't remember how he did in school (he was in high school at the time) but I remember the time my co worker was out on a sales call and saw him walking along the road with friends at a time he should have been in school (oops). Hopefully, Melvin will study the percentages of outstanding high school players and how many of them have NFL careers before he decides to ditch his studies all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I don't think he's really paying attention to that as well as he should be.

      Delete
  5. Hopefully he can put in the hard work required for becoming a football player! It's easy with hindsight to see that school is good to teach you a little bit of everything, but I guess when you have a one-track mind as a kid and you only want one goal it's easy to think the other things don't matter. Good on you for following up and making sure he's aware he needs to try at more than just sports to succeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melvin really shouldn't put all his eggs in one basket, but to be young is to be flying in the face of folly, much of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Students are not always realistic about what they want/can do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have found this useful. Instead I worked a series of rather unrewarding office jobs. But I'm retired now (!) and hope to remain this way. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the hope, that they would get something out of this unit.

      Delete
  9. Baseball choices out of high school, football (since they have to have full adult weight to stand a chance) has to get through college. And Interviews - so many interviews - in college and pro sports - this is part of the job. Maybe a task of defining all the ADDITIONAL skills one needs for the job other than running a ball. Memorizing a playbook, punctual, interviews, health fitness to reduce injury - knowledge of health fitness, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did, in fact, list many of those other skills needed for pro football. Not the interviews, though. I think he'll be surprised at how useful this lesson was (although with how tuned out he was, he might not realize that he got any of it).

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.