Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Renegade Nell


In last week's "what if?", I mentioned Renegade Nell. Since it's summer, Wednesday is the day I talk about whatever weird show I managed to stumble across.

It turns out that if you subscribe to Hulu, you also subscribe to Disney Plus, no extra fee required. (This was news to me when I found out. Of course, I couldn't take advantage of this right away due to how I was subscribed to Hulu, but things changed and I sorted it out.) Once I was newly receiving Disney Plus, the first thing that popped up was this show, and it looked kinda interesting, so I checked it out.

The description via iMDB

A quick-witted and courageous young woman framed for murder unexpectedly becomes the most notorious outlaw in 18th-century England. When a magical spirit called Billy appears, Nell realizes her destiny is bigger than she ever imagined.

Nell (don't call her Nelly) goes through some stuff. Newly widowed, she returned to her father's home (tavern) only to have him killed by the local toff. When Nell tried to get justice from the magistrate (who was that toff's father), the toff killed him (yes, his father), and framed Nell for the deed.

Now, Nell had her two younger sisters to take care of, no home (as the magistrate gave it to someone else), and no recourse. So she turned to highway robbery. As one does...

And I'm not even mentioning her pixie helper or the sister of the toff who found her way into dabbling in dark magic. It's quite a show.

It's funny how I've wanted Disney Plus for so long to watch shows I've heard of, and then when I get it, I end up watching a show that it seems no one has heard of. Or have you?

Anyway, it's best to see it, so here's the trailer:

If you have Disney Plus, have you seen this show? Interested? Any good shows I should check out?

17 comments:

  1. We do get Disney Plus and I just checked; Renegade Nell is indeed available here. I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fun! thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're enjoying the show. We don't subscribe to Hulu but I appreciate the recommendation. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable. I only started because I had to if I wanted to watch broadcast TV.

      Delete
  4. I have Disney Plus, which my cable company just started offering it for free without much fanfare. It is was a process signing up but I worked my way and got it going (I think). I've watched it zero times. I'm not a huge streamer but maybe....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two words: Doctor Who. The new season is streaming on Disney Plus. (I don't know if you're a Doctor Who fan, but I know you do sci fi, so it wouldn't be a stretch...)

      Delete
  5. Omgosh. I always forget I have Disney Plus! That looks like a good show. I'll give it a watch too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to forget when you have other things to watch.

      Delete
  6. I have Disney+, but I never heard of that show. Now.... I will have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even know about that with Hulu. I switch out streaming services every few months. Maybe I'll go back to Hulu next. Currently back with netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shock to me when I found out. I thought I should pass along the information.

      Delete
  8. We have a profile on my sister's Disney Plus subscription. I haven't watched any of the shows (just some of the movies). Nick and Gabby (my sister) both really liked a show that's some spin off of the movie Willow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I remember hearing of that show, and I wanted to see it, but that was before I had Disney Plus. I'll look out for it.

      Delete
  9. This is Birgit…I don’t have Disney or Hulu so I can’t see the show but it sounds like a fun one and one that I would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Disney Plus thing is a hinderance for many.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.