Wednesday, June 12, 2024

An Eighth Grade Playlist

It was the penultimate day of school, and I had caught a gig covering a special ed co-teacher. Her sixth period class was eighth grade English.

The eighth graders were officially done. All that was left were the end of year activities. On this day it was a trip to a water park. (The general ed teacher was out too; she was chaperoning the water park trip.) So, any eighth graders left behind...

Well, they had excuses for not going. It was too expensive. (Likely true.) They had a season pass to a water park, so why go with the school? (Also likely true.) They had a doctor appointment that day. (The student was wearing a knee brace, so likely true.) 

Also likely true: they did not qualify to go. To qualify, they had to be "promoting" (passing GPA, etc), no recent behavioral infractions, and no excessive absences. 

Because of this, the students in class were few. And they were a bit wound up. They had no assignments (they're done for the year), so they had free time. Once the initial flurry of activity subsided, most of them were on their phones and they settled to pretty mellow.

One girl went to the class TV and changed the music that was playing. It was some rap something that didn't sound very school-appropriate, but I didn't have a chance to chide her on it. She changed the music, and then she left to go hang out in a different class. (This was okay per the teacher.) 

So, I looked at the remaining students and asked if that was the music they wanted on. It was not, so they changed it...

And I was floored by their choice. They left this artist on for the rest of the period. 

Seriously, take a listen. I commented that the music sounded like it was out of the '40s. What decade does it sound like to you? (And if you're intrigued, check her out on YouTube. She's got dozens of songs all in a similar vein.)

22 comments:

  1. What goes around comes around especially with music and clothing styles. She does sound like a blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the decades to come back into style, the '40s? It's not a bad thing, but just the last sort of music I'd expect them to like.

      Delete
  2. I don't want to mess up my YouTube algorithm so I'll take your word on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thecontemplativecat here. I love that band era, the sultry voices. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to high school in the 70’s. The 40’s were experiencing a resurgence then, too. Good music transcends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I didn't notice. But then again, I was a kid in the '70s, so lots of things flew over my head.

      Delete
  5. This has a nice jazz vibe to it. With music, what goes around comes around, eventually. I remember the late 70's and early 80's, I think, when the Stray Cats, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, and other like groups were popular.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My musical tastes vary and this is amazing. Thank you for sharing and best wishes, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pleasant surprise their pick must have been! It does seem quite '40s. Unlike Songbird's Crazy World, the '70s in CA were not '40s like at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I didn't miss a '40s influence growing up? (I was born in the '70s, but I do have memories of the time.)

      Delete
  8. Hi Liz - I see it's by the Icelandic artist Laufey ... fascinating to see what's what in their lives ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! The kids are on.to something as she has a great voice. It sounds like you would find her in a smoke filled bar enjoying every minute

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it, but it does sound very old school for eighth graders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? When they put it on, I was like, "This? Really?"

      Delete
  11. It does sound 40's or 50's. Odd choice for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’m pleasantly surprised! And the music is really good.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.