Friday, June 7, 2024

Not a Freshman, Not a Senior

I've had Marcellus in various classes over the years. He was in Mr. J's fourth period computer science class.

I had been in the class a couple days (so, this was back in March) when something about freshmen came up. There were a couple freshmen in this class, and for some reason I thought Marcellus was one of them. (Which makes no sense as I had had him in "various classes over the years".) Although, to be fair, he is short, so...

When I said something along those lines, Marcellus corrected me, informing me that he was a senior. I apologized for my mistake, and I verified his grade level in the attendance software. 

Marcellus was lying. He was a junior. 

I did not call him on this, however. It was unimportant. It wouldn't even make the blog, except...

Thursday. Legacy day.

The seniors had "checked out". Officially. Their grades were finalized, and they were beginning their senior activities. The first one was them going back to visit their elementary schools wearing their caps and gowns, letting the kiddos there know that one day they too would be in the seniors' shoes. 

For the freshmen, sophomores, and juniors, class was as normal. As fourth period had eleven seniors, those students were absent (for school business) while the rest of the students were there.

As I started taking roll, I mentioned that there were a lot of absences. The students remarked that the seniors were gone. (I knew this. There were more students missing than would be accounted for by the missing seniors. It turned out that several students were just late to class.) 

This was when the other students "noticed" Marcellus. 

"Wait. Aren't you a senior? You're supposed to be gone..."

At which point Marcellus sputtered and flailed for some excuse. 

They were joking, of course. They had to know Marcellus wasn't a senior. But apparently it's been an ongoing bit that Marcellus claimed to be a senior, so him still being at school had to put an end to the game. 

At least next year Marcellus won't by lying. And hopefully I'll remember that even though he's short, he's not a freshman.

24 comments:

  1. I told a lie in junior high. I don't know why I did it and my cheeks still get pink at the memory. There had been a shit-ton of snow and Terry, a popular girl from a different class, said she almost didn't come in because she heard our school recited by the dj who read the school closings. ME, TOO! I announced, just wanting to interact with her. Then, when we got into class, my teacher asked about the rumor that the school had been mentioned on the radio. I was silent because I didn't hear it. One of my classmate chirped, "The Gal heard it! Didn't you, Gal?" I wanted to die. So I wonder ... is it hormones or insecurity or something else that makes adolescents tell stupid, meaningless lies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcellus claiming he was a senior - well, adults do that too when they lie on their resumes about experience, education, etc. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he was thinking ahead to when it would be obvious that he was not a senior. Unless he wants to claim "super senior" status... (A super senior is a 5th year senior.)

      Delete
  3. I think a lot of kids tell lies like that. My daughter had a friend who claimed that one of the members of a popular band was her cousin. Based on what the girl said I knew it was a fabrication but my daughter believed … for awhile, anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they do. Middle schoolers claim all sorts of familial ties. "This is my cousin." They're very different ethnicities. I just nod and move on.

      Delete
  4. haha, you did not even have to say a word, the class took care of that for you. Oops, why lie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just nod and move on when they lie to me. It's not worth getting into it most days.

      Delete
  5. Funny, since younger students were in the class. Next year they'll assume he failed and is repeating his senior year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But... They don't get to do that. Only special ed kiddos can come back for a second senior year (super seniors). Everyone else has to apply for reentry.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, they don't keep around students who didn't graduate. I'm not sure why, but that's the way they do it.

      Delete
  6. He's going to have to claim to be something else next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. '...even though he's short, he's not a freshman.' Tee-hee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's small. I hope he grows over the summer. Even just a little.

      Delete
  8. In just a little over two years, I will qualify for the first "senior discounts." I'm actually looking forward to saving a little money here and there. Being old (it turns out) just might suit me if I can figure out a way to deal with the aches and pains that one accrues along the way. As for Marcellus, well he may be a senior next year, and a young senior at that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, yes, the days when it was fun to try to seem older.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Marcellus can give you some good entertainment if you give him a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought this was going to end with Marcellus skipping class, this is a better ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At that point he would have had to walk out, and he's a good kid. He wasn't going to ditch for that reason. (I know other kiddos who would have then gone for the ditch, but that's not his style.)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.