Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Presumed Guilty

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

What if you were falsely accused of a crime, but there was nothing you could do to clear your name? (People who know you believe you did it. Every piece of evidence you can find points to you. Anyone who could help you either won't or is out of your reach.) 

Today's "what if?" brought to you by Renegade Nell

10 comments:

  1. If I wasn't me, and had the means to flee, I guess that would be the only thing to do! Otherwise, I would hope someone would take up my case, like Innocence Project. I wouldn't want to be imprisoned for 43 years for a crime I didn't commit, like that woman recently freed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awful. ~shudder~ I had to look up Renegade Nell, so thank you for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like you watched The Fugitive pr a Hitchcock film. It would suck and there have been people, in the past and now, that have been in prison for decades for a crime they did not commit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a tough one. The last thing I want is to spend the rest of my life on the run, especially in this digital world of ours, but I just might have to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure what I would I have occasionally had bad dreams along this line.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then I am guessing that I would be convicted. I would either end up doing time or running from the law.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, there you are! Kafka's Joseph K in the novel The Trial. Unforgettable. Killed in the end for a crime he knew nothing about. Nobody knew...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a difficult question. I guess I would not give up trying to prove my innocence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a chilling scenario!
    It makes me think of how fragile our lives and reputations can be, hinging on the belief of others and the fallibility of systems.
    I guess the only option is to flee!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.