Wednesday, June 19, 2024

My School Year in Review

School is out for the summer. So, now it's time for my annual look back at my school year by the numbers. That is, what classes did I cover this year? 

Before I get into the minutiae, I'll start with the overview...

There are 180 days in the school year. I worked for 166 of them. This is down from last year's 174 and the prior year's all time high of 177. Most of those days were just days where nothing was available. (Somehow my sick days coincided with vacations and weekends.) This is good as that means there are enough subs to go around. But that means that catching gigs has been a bit more tricky. Still, that's a good all around total for the year.

This total does not include the two days I covered at the continuation high school before the school year began. As I did not catch any summer school gigs, those were the only two "summer" gigs I got. After the past couple years where I did work a lot in the summer, it was kind of nice to get more of a break.

I worked 117 days in high school classes, 41 days in middle school classes, only 3 days at the continuation high school, and 5 days at the alternative education center. (3 days at the continuation high school? Yikes. I was barely there at all.) 

16 of those days I covered a different class on my prep period, and 3 of those days the teacher didn't have a prep. That is so way down from previous years, it's crazy. But there's a reason for that. The schools went on a block schedule. There are fewer periods in a school day. Also, they've established a spreadsheet for teachers to sign up for extra periods, which they do (as they get paid extra for it). So, less need for that coverage. It's good as I often get to leave campus early. But, there are fewer opportunities to make an extra hour's pay on a school day.

I did not work the first day of school, but I did work the last.

Next are the specifics. I tallied the days by subject. A "full day" means I only covered that subject that day. A "partial day" means I covered more than one subject. So, if I covered two periods of math and one period of computer science, I tallied partial days of both math and computer science. If I covered two periods of math 7 and one period of math 8, I covered a full day of math, but only partial days of math 7 and math 8.

Each subject will be listed with three numbers: 3/6/1. The first number is for a "full day". The second for a "partial day". And the third is for an "extra period". Those are classes where I went to a different room and covered a class for a different teacher than the one I was contracted to cover for the rest of the day.

  • My big winner for the year: social studies. 47/3/0 Why? I did that long term assignment in November/December.
    • Government: 0/33/0. Mr. B had government on both of his block days, but he didn't only teach government.
    • U.S. history: 0/27/0. This had a similar distribution for Mr. B's classes. 
    • Economics: 0/14/0. Mr. B taught one period of this, so that's why I have half the classes.
    • 8th grade U.S. history: 4/7/0
    • 7th grade world history: 5/2/0
    • World history: 1/3/1
    • Geography: 1/2/0
  • In second place, math. Again, that total is mostly due to my long term from March/April (and some of May). As it was math and computer science, all of these days were "partial". 16/45/1
    • Integrated math 2 (10th grade math--formerly geometry): 1/44/1. Mr. J only had IM2 classes, so this tracks.
    • 7th grade: 6/3/0. Some of this is from those two weeks in Ms. M's class at the end of February.
    • 8th grade: 5/2/0. Same as 7th grade.
    • Integrated math 3 (11th grade math--formerly algebra 2): 0/1/0
    • Trigonometry, Calculus, and Statistics: each 0/1/0. Likely this was the same teacher. The "higher" math tends to be taught by one teacher, one period of each. 
    • Surprisingly, I did not once cover integrated math 1 (9th grade math, formerly algebra 1). That is very, very odd. 
  • In third place is English, which usually takes the top spot, but with my long terms, it got knocked down here. 31/6/0
    • 9th grade: 8/14/0. These are mostly from the beginning of the school year when I took over that vacant English class
    • ELD (English language development): 0/13/0. Ditto. That vacant English class had one period of ELD, so these are those days.
    • 7th grade: 1/7/0
    • 8th grade: 0/6/1
    • 12th grade: 0/4/0
    • 11th grade: 0/2/1
    • 10th grade: 0/1/0
  • And rounding out the required courses is science at 2/4/5. Considering my long terms, it makes sense that I didn't get to many science classes.
    • 7th grade: 0/2/0
    • 8th grade: 1/1/1
    • Health: 0/1/0
    • Biology: 0/1/1
    • Chemistry: 0/1/1
    • Physics: 0/1/1
    • Anatomy/Physiology: 0/1/0
    • Environmental Science: 0/1/0
    • Intro to Health Careers: 0/0/1
  • Next I'm listing special ed, as these tend to overlap with the above. 43/0/4
    • Special day class: 30/1/1. These were mostly Mr. B's classes. That is, these are special ed classes that are just special ed students. Although, not all, as there were a couple science days and one English/math day that I recall covering.
    • Learning center: 0/6/0. Most special ed teachers have to man the learning center for one period in their schedule. This is just a room where kiddos can come and take tests or get extra help. It's a very easy sub gig.
    • Co-teach: 3/5/0. While all of Mr. J's math classes were co-taught, I only counted this when I was covering the special ed teacher. 
    • Moderate to severe: 5/0/2. These are those days, with the very low kiddos. (I think this is best demonstrated by example.) 
    • BEST: 1/0/1. I'm not sure if this is technically special ed, as it's basically one step above the alternative education center, but I listed it here in my spreadsheet as it needed a location, and this seems to fit it best. 
  • My top elective, is obviously computers. 2/42/1. This was the other half of Mr. J's classes, so...
    • Computer science: 0/42/0
    • CAD (computer aided drafting): 1/0/0
    • BioAnimaker: 0/0/1
    • The numbers don't add up? Yeah, the computer literacy class at the continuation high school is that missing number. I should probably add it as a class under computers. I probably will next year. I added in classes as I encountered them for the first time (see BioAnimaker above). 
  • Art: 5/2/1. I list "art" as the traditional drawing class, but also under this umbrella are
  • Success seminar: 0/1/1
  • AVID: 0/1/0
  • Credit recovery: 0/4/0
  • Spanish: 2/0/0
  • French: 0/0/1
  • Drama: 0/1/0
  • Athletics: 0/1/0
  • Band: 1/0/0
  • ASB: 0/0/1

It's really odd to see so few electives for me. But that's because of those long term assignments. I spent so much time there that I didn't get a chance to hit many of the other classes I usually get to see. That's the trade off. 

That's it for another year of subbing. Who knows what next year will bring?

Previous years' stats:

18 comments:

  1. It might not be the highest number of days ever worked in a school year, but it's still pretty much every day. Computers is obviously your favorite elective, as we can see by your statistics and use of spreadsheets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about that. I don't normally have that many computer classes, but I had that long term... I find having a spreadsheet helps me keep track easier.

      Delete
  2. Nice number of working days, cool recap :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Statistics for 14 years. The really good news is you worked almost all the time, even if was a little less than the previous school year. Have you considered becoming an actuary?

    ReplyDelete
  4. With middle and high school, it's no wonder partial days have the most numbers. Do you ever sub for teachers repeatedly through the year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say the variety would interest me more than my previous workplaces. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like these types of summaries: they are so informative. I usually create an end of the year summary in numbers as a Christmas letter to family 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like having them. It's a way of keeping track of things, and it fits with the way my brain works.

      Delete
  7. What would be your favor subject when comes to subing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's cool that you keep the records like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the idea from a fellow subbing blogger, now retired.

      Delete
  9. That's a lot of numbers! You must really like math to keep up with stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz - certainly an interesting post to write up ... useful at some stage - enjoy the summer break doing whatever you do - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.