Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Oh, the Drama

And so, it begins again.

School doesn't officially begin until August 10th. But, the continuation high school had been in session for a week. The class was "Adult Re-Entry". I have not covered this class in years, but I am familiar with it. (I wrote about it many times, but here are three posts from back then: one, two, and three.)

(Re-entry is a class for young adults who just missed graduating from high school. The class is four hours long, and they spend their time working on whatever credits they are missing. It's a very chill day.)

The students don't arrive until 10 AM, but the continuation high school starts at 8:30, so I was very early. (We're supposed to report to the school site a half hour before class begins.) So, I got into the classroom and I was prepping for the day (read: checking my personal email and reading blogs).

At 8:40 there was a knock at the door. Duke informed me that Mr. G lets them come in early if they arrive early. As I had nothing better going on, I didn't see the harm in it.

Duke got a computer and attempted to log in. Alas, he couldn't remember his username and password. He had saved them on his phone, but alas, he had left his phone at home.

He asked to use the classroom phone to call his sister. 

It took him a couple tries to call out. (They have to dial a number before to indicate an outside line, and then we have to use 1 + area code to dial all phone numbers in our area. But as I knew all this, I was able to help him get the call to go through.) He got a hold of his sister, but she was unable to help. 

I know their user credentials live in a screen I don't have access to. But I know who does. She gave me Duke's username and password, and Duke was able to log in. To the computer. But not to the program.

While attempting to get a hold of the counselor who has access to the program's data, Duke got a call back from his sister. 

I only heard Duke's portion of the conversation. "Bruh... Why'd you have to tell me this?"

He was clearly upset. He wanted to know why his sister had to call him to tell him whatever it was while he was at school. He wondered why she couldn't have waited until he got home. Then he informed me that he wasn't going to be able to concentrate, so he was going to leave. 

I was once again alone, but class hadn't started, so that was no surprise. 

There's a reason why these students didn't graduate "on time". But at least they're making the attempt, distractions notwithstanding.

20 comments:

  1. I find it's often other people who derail my plans, much like Duke and his sister. Though, it's on him for forgetting his credentials and not having his phone. And she called him back on the school phone? That seems weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not. If you know the classroom's extension, all you have to do is call the school phone number and enter the classroom's extension when prompted. I rarely get outside calls, but they do happen. (It's how parents can call the teachers when they need to get a hold of them.)

      Delete
  2. I see a lot of future struggles ahead for Duke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's *great* that they're making the attempt. And that the school offers the opportunity to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck in life, Duke. You might need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully he'll mature a bit once he finally graduates.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like he got some bad news. I wouldn't be able to concentrate either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of that before class even started. Which is probably a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a good program. Some students only need some maturity and distance to be able to return and successfully graduate. Long ago, I worked with someone who did just that. Too bad it wasn’t a good day for Duke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and I'm sure it didn't help that the regular teacher was out that day.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Nope, I couldn't hear her side of the conversation even though he was standing next to me.

      Delete
  9. thecontemplativecat Here. Waht will he do next year, as a real adult?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically he is a real adult. Every student in that class is at least 18.

      Delete
  10. Poor Duke. He tried and I know how it feels to forget the password. His sister knows how to disrupt her brother. I kind of feel bad for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes those passwords are tricky. And they're assigned by the school (although they can go in and change the password once they've logged in).

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.