Friday, August 18, 2023

Fixing It

Continuation high school. Friday. CAD class. Second period.

Class had started. I finished taking roll. Then Javier arrived with a pink classroom exchange slip.

That Mr. G wasn't there was a surprise. (I got the assignment at about 8 PM the previous night. Whatever caused him to be out was last minute.) 

I asked Javier if he specifically needed Mr. G's help. While I can generally assist the kiddos with most classes, computer aided drafting isn't something I know how to do. Javier said he needed to fix his speaker. 

He showed me the one he had made. He designed it on Solidworks and then Mr. G had printed it out on the school's 3D printer. Unfortunately, there were flaws in the design, so Javier needed to redo the design and have it printed out again.

(I forgot to take a picture of the thing, so if you want a visual of what he made, go to about 1:45 in this video. That's roughly what the thing looked like. Watch the whole 2 minute video if you're curious about what he was doing.)

I was dubious, but I let him stay. Students don't usually actually work when they exchange classes to a class taught by a sub. Usually it's an excuse to go somewhere to play. But as Javier was actually planning on working on something, I figured I'd give him a chance.

And... he actually worked. He spent the period on the software, tweaking the things that were problems. (He showed me on his first attempt the things that bothered him.)

He didn't quite finish, so I told him he could return the following period if he needed to (and if his third period teacher gave him permission). 

Third period he returned. And he finished what he could do. He figured he wouldn't get the finished item until about Wednesday. (He'd have to ask Mr. G to print it out. It would take Mr. G time to get around to it. Then, it would take about three hours to print.) 

This was kind of unusual for me. A student voluntarily working on a Friday and completing his task. It helps when it's something they want to do.

18 comments:

  1. Wow, a kid who wants to do work. In that school, he’s a standout, isn’t he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he wanted the finished item. And he was determined to make it how he wanted it.

      Delete
  2. It must have been something that really interested him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son owns a 3D printer. They are pretty cool and appears that this student is motivated to finish his project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3D printers are cool. And expensive. They do some cool things with it at the school.

      Delete
  4. Hi Liz - he sounds as though he's got a great interest ... I'm glad he was able to 'do what he wanted' and will be able to finish the product. Good for him and for you/the school for facilitating it for him - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Designing something (this item is cool!) for 3D printing is a good motivation for students ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Yeah, although it's more like that teacher has one. He had to fight to get it, from what I recall. But it works for what he teaches.

      Delete
  7. Right on! Javier was certainly motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A three D printer. Isn't it fascinating what they have designed on them for disabled people? I loved watching the vid about printing a little stand amp for an iPhone. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's what they were making. It actually works.

      Delete
  9. Its so nice that kids are able to use 3D printer at a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He obviously loves doing this so, to him, it’s not work but something he loves. Glad he was such good news

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great when they figure out what they enjoy.

      Delete
  11. How fast 3D printing has caught on. A little over a decade ago if I remember right it was making an appearance, and I saw it working for the first time at a small studio of a startup in Bangalore. I tried to understand it as I had to write about it for the publication I worked for. And I was amazed by the technological marvel. Last week, a new post office was built in Bangalore with 3D printing technology.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.