Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Experience

The official first full week of school was incredibly boring for me. I only got one job, for Friday. (It was for the history class I had covered many, many times.) 

When I arrived first thing in the morning, I was surprised to learn that four teachers were out that day. But, fortunately, all had their very own sub covering the class, so it wouldn't be a mad scramble. I took note of who was out that day, as I knew what was coming.

Third period. Two boys, giggling, insisted that they needed to go to another class "to work". I inquired further, and they explained that they had a poem due in their English class. 

Ms. E, the English teacher, was one of the teachers who had a sub. 

What were the chances that they'd go to the other class--that had a sub--and actually do work? Versus, what was the likelihood that they'd go to the other class to play? (I had not met this sub before, so I didn't know how new he was.)

I've been around long enough to know that last week's instance of a student changing classes and actually doing work is not how these things go normally. 

So, I told them no. 

They protested. They said that Ms. E had sentence starters to help them. I offered to let them get those sentence starters and bring them back. No, they needed to be in the room

Unlikely. 

I've been doing this job long enough. I wasn't going to subject that sub to two students who could just as easily do nothing with me.

But later in the period, another student asked for something similar. He explained that once he finished his work, Mr. K usually let him go to PE as that week they were doing something with weights. Of course, the PE teacher, Mr. M, was also out. 

But... I knew the sub in PE. She's fairly new, but not new new. And I could hear the weights being used. (The weight room was next door.) 

So, I called her and asked. Mostly, students who leave to go to PE are fine, although Mr. M would know who he should say no to. She said it was fine, and I heard the weights being used, so it was probably okay. 

The boys who I denied earlier? They didn't bother to ask again. 

Did they get any work done? Unlikely. But at least they didn't have a chance to make things miserable for that other sub.

14 comments:

  1. When you're that age, you think you're so, so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, they are quick to know what teachers are out on a daily basis, probably before you do! Sneaky little buggers. I like that having to be in the same room to get their story starters! I will guess that sub was new new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I did know who was out first. I got the list from the secretary before any students arrived :)

      Delete
  3. You really have to think on your feet. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having been a long term sub back in the 90s, I learned quickly and had to make snap decisions. Their teacher had some physical and mental issues. The students had gone through 17 subs. I was #18. Teaching in the trenches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those classes are the worst. There's no consistency, and the students go feral.

      Delete
  5. My late childhood best friend (who was a retired New York City elementary school teacher) started out as a sub. I don't want to imagine what she experienced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How's it go? Tragedy plus time equals comedy. These experiences are funnier the further back in time they are.

      Delete
  6. They always think they are the first to come up with the idea. Little do they know it's same old, same old for experienced teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how they try...and try. They must think you just fell off the turnip truck.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.