Friday, August 11, 2023

Not Antarctica

Credit recovery, seventh period. (This is the same day as I talked about yesterday on this blog.) 

Credit recovery is a class that students take to quickly make up credits for classes that they initially failed. So, everyone is working on something different.

It was a warm day as is usual for August. At least it wasn't scorching hot which is also usual for August. But, small room, 15 or so students, and the room heats up quickly. I had the air conditioning on.

We had a high somewhere in the 80s outside. Inside I had set the a/c for 75° (24°C).

"Turn off the air conditioning."

Um, no. If I turn it off, it's 80° in next to no time, and no one wants that.

I explained this to Milt. I informed him that soon the classroom would reach the temperature and then the a/c would click off.

He whined. "It's like Antarctica in here."

Soon enough, the a/c clicked off. Milt should be happy now, right? Nope.

"It's too hot in here. It's like a desert. Turn on the air."

Well, no. It was then a reasonable temperature, and there was no reason to turn the air back on. I told Milt that it would click back on when the temperature got above 75°. 

Sure enough, it did a few minutes later. And what did Milt do? I'm sure you can guess...

And so, for the rest of the period, Milt complained. If the a/c was on, it was "Antarctica". If it was off, it was "the desert". At one point of "Antarctica", I offered to let Milt work outside. He returned a couple minutes later, complaining of "the desert" outside.

I stopped responding. If a student's going to complain, sometimes they're just going to complain.

But I got to complain, after school. And when I named Milt, the office staff wasn't surprised. Apparently, he's working towards becoming a professional boxer. 

I'm glad I'm not his trainer.

13 comments:

  1. Milt sounds like a whiner. I really don't think there's a temperature that makes everyone happy, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is not. No matter what I set the a/c to, someone will complain. So, I set it to where I want it (well, not exactly, but not much warmer than I'd like) and I ignore the whining.

      Delete
  2. That's like it is at my house! I have a portable AC in the living room, and when it shuts off it seems to immediately get stuffy and hot! The temperature says it's okay, but it doesn't feel like it. Maybe Milt and I are just sensitive to the stuffy feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When air isn't moving, it definitely feels stuffy. That's when you just need a fan blowing on you.

      Delete
  3. Speaking of AC, glad I have it, supposed to be in the 100's most of next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, love the a/c when it's unbearably hot. Love the a/c when it's just mildly warm. I don't think the students fully appreciate the a/c.

      Delete
  4. Something tells me the temperature of the gym where he trains is never an issue with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh... complainers. They probably are never wrong at home.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.