Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Don't Go Back

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

Ideas are funny. You see one thing and read another, and somehow they get put together in your mind, and suddenly, idea. 

A few weeks back, I watched 11.22.63 on Hulu. At around the same time, I was looking something up on TV Tropes...

Note, or rather, a Warning: TV Tropes is a rabbit hole. You will look one thing up, and then click on a link and that will lead you to another and another... And then it's three hours later and you wonder where the time went. It's addictive. Visit at your own risk.

...And as you do on TV Tropes, I clicked a couple links and ended up on "Godwin's Law of Time Travel". (Which is linked to Godwin's law. Click that link if you haven't heard of it. Then it'll all make more sense.) 

These two thoughts collided in my brain, and that gave me this week's question:

What if time travel is always useless? What if, after figuring out how to actually make a time travelling trip, nothing you do in the past does anything but end in disaster in the present?

7 comments:

  1. That's the beauty of 'what if?' it can at times lead you to a genuis breakthrough or something throw you down a rabbit hole for answers that we haven't figured out it. Honestly, I love those phases of life, its like a new hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it always would, in one way or another. Keep a disaster from happening would cause a domino effect, letting loose other events that the disaster held off. Even on a smaller personal level I believe this would be true. I've read 11.22.63. I am glad time is one directional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Captain Janeway : Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ends in disaster? Always? Yuck, I would not Time travel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think, in real life, time travel (if it is possible) would end in disaster. So I have a feeling the laws of physics would prohibit it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose many people would time travel, not to change the present but as a tourist travels to another culture. What happens as a result, most time tourists would not care at all. They're just time travelling for fun and because they can and have the money to do it. Like people today going into space for hell of it and because they're rich and what do you do with all that money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd better not check out that link as I'm way behind on blog reading. :D

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.