Thursday, August 3, 2023

My July Watchlist 13

I did this at the beginning of July, so I figured I could do it again now. It's a Thursday 13 of what I watched on TV in July. Unlike June, I'm having a hard time hitting a full 13. A couple of these I may have actually seen in June. (I'm not 100% sure. I didn't write about them for June's post, so I probably saw them in July.)

The link to most go to their trailers. For #9 it's a show clip. And for #11-13 the link goes to the shows' homepages. 

1. Quantum Leap, NBC

I recorded the full first season of this sequel/reboot as it aired, but I didn't even begin to watch it until July. I did watch the whole season, all 18 episodes. One a night. This is why I didn't see that much else, as I was working my way through this show most of the month. (I already talked about the show on a Wednesday post.)

2. The Lazarus Project, TNT

This one was only eight episodes, and I did manage to finish the first season. (The second season isn't available yet, if it has even been filmed.) It went in a way different direction than I expected, but it was pretty decent. I'd do a season 2 if it appears.

3. Devotion, Paramount Plus

This is a movie about the first Black fighter pilot in the integrated Navy during the Korean War. I was not aware of this movie when it came out in theaters, only when it first appeared streaming. The trailer sucked me in, so I gave it a go, and I was not disappointed. I recommend.

4. Shazam! Fury of the Gods, MAX

This is one I might have caught at the end of June. It's a sequel, and I didn't hate the first one. (I didn't love the first one, but it was a nice diversion.) This... was a bit of a mess. As the reviews stated. If the pickings weren't so slim for this list, I'd've skipped it entirely.

5. And Just Like That, MAX

This is the "sequel" to Sex and the City that's been widely maligned. I can see why, but I also don't hate it. I watched the first season last year because it was on when nothing else was. I'm watching the second season for similar reasons.  I don't recommend it unless you were a big SATC fan (which I wasn't) and you've seen the reviews and they don't put you off. 

6. The Game Show Show, ABC

Back in May, this popped up in my guide, and I was curious, so I recorded it. I only just got around to watching. (This is the time of year that all of the shows and such I was collecting get watched.) It's a four episode history of game shows, from the earliest quiz shows through Survivor and American Idol. It's an interesting overview. I like this sort of thing. If you can find it, it's worth your time.

7. Star Trek: Lower Decks, Paramount Plus

I've been meaning to get around to this one, and then I heard there was a crossover episode with Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (which I'm watching, but with someone else, and we're way behind), I figured I'd better know what this show is about before encountering the crossover episode. It's very cartoony, but it is a cartoon, so it fits. It's the usual Star Trek stuff. I'm only a couple episodes in, so I don't have much to say about it.

8. School Spirits, Paramount Plus

It's a weird show about a teen girl who was murdered at school. She's now a ghost, "living" on campus with the others who died there. She does not remember her death, so she's trying to figure out what happened to her while her "guide" (a teen boy from the '90s) attempts to help her adjust (along with a "support group" filled with teens who died at school along with a teacher who leads them). I'm only a couple episodes in, but so far it's interesting enough.

9. Weakest Link, NBC

This aired a new episode or two in July. I have it automatically set to record. It's an odd little game show that's been around for a while (and "borrowed" from British TV), so you've probably already heard of it. This iteration is hosted by Jane Lynch, and they've been doing some themed shows. The one I saw was populated by WWE wrestlers. I don't watch WWE, so I was only there for the trivia questions. 

10. Ted Lasso, Apple TV Plus

I've raved about this show on the blog before. After I finished Quantum Leap, I realized I was kinda meh on the TV offerings, so it was time to re-up my subscription to Apple Plus and catch season 3. As I write this, I'm about halfway through the season, but by the time you read this, I'm sure I'll have finished it. (Then I'll watch the seasons of the other shows I got into, and I'll drop the subscription.) American football coach goes to England to coach soccer. And he's really, really nice. I highly recommend. With bells on.

11. NOVA, PBS

And now we come to more background shows. NOVA is one of those shows I'll watch when I want to watch something, but I'm not sure what. I have a bunch recorded, so I go and look for something that looks interesting. I watched a show on falling bridges and one about Mars.

12. The Best of Sewing with Nancy, PBS

I have a bunch of shows set to record from PBS. This is a how-to with plenty of projects. Which I can't do as I don't really have a sewing machine. But it's fun to see how things are made. (There's a knitting show as well, but I'm all caught up on those.) 

13. Jeopardy!, ABC

This is pretty much a nightly thing. I watch it while I eat dinner. I wouldn't mention it, but I have nothing else to list.  (I'm also continuing with The Food that Built America as new episodes air, and I finished The Blacklist when it finally finaled.)

18 comments:

  1. It's been a long time since I've found a show worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the first episode of Just Like That and decided it wasn't for me. It's really hard to find something that holds your attention. So much on, but so little that's good/interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I reupped Apple TV Plus for Ted Lasso. Sadly, I've now finished that. But yeah, AJLT is kinda meh. You're not missing much.

      Delete
  3. It's a real shame that, to see good TV, one has to subscribe (as you do) to several streaming services. I had the chance, when I bought a new (new as in not preowned, not a new model) iPhone, to get three free months of Apple TV Plus. I decided against it, and it's a pity, because I have wanted to see Ted Lasso. I'm also enjoying (immensely) The Food that Built America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the reason I subscribed initially. It was three free months, and then they extended it to a free year. There's no reason why you couldn't subscribe for a month, watch what you want to see, and then unsubscribe.

      Delete
  4. We're planning on streaming a movie this evening. My husband picked out a few. We like the same things, so I'm looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Todos los que han mencionado mi favorito es Star Trek. El guionista siempre ha sido extraordinario.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I eatch Weakest link and Jeopardy and plan to watch Star atrevo eventually

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen almost none of these. Funny how we have so many options to stream whatever and whenever. I remember the "old" days... Live TV (no streaming) with just a handfull of options (pre-cable). We were all watching the same stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the least domestic or crafty woman on the planet and yet I'm charmed by the idea of The Best of Sewing with Nancy. It sounds so authentic and low-concept and focused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. And she shows how to do things step by step. If I had an available sewing machine, I could probably do many of the projects. (Sadly, it's a "best of" as Nancy passed away in 2017.)

      Delete
  9. I like Weakest Link because of the hosts snarky jokes. They crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's so casually cruel. But that's her brand, so it works.

      Delete
  10. Another Nancy fan! Uh Oh... didn't know she passed away. Oh No! She's was lot younger than I am. How Sad. I lost a daughter to cancer in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was saddened by that news. At least they can still show repeats. (Kind of like with Huell Howser, but he's a California thing.)

      Delete
  11. I watch AJLT. I like it ok. There's not much else on new at the moment. If you get Amazon Prime, we liked Jack Ryan, it was a good series. And Mrs. Maisel.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.