Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Quantum Leap

So far this summer, my Wednesday posts are less "show I watched that I think you might like" and more "show I watched and I need something to write about". The show I started last week was Quantum Leap

The Quantum Leap reboot/sequel premiered last fall with the new shows of the regular season. As a fan of the previous incarnation, I was willing to give it a shot. I set up my DVR to record it. And then I proceeded to not watch a single episode.

Why? I don't know, exactly. Starting things for me sometimes is hard. And once I had stacked three or four episodes, it just seemed like a lot of work. I couldn't quite get into the right mindset to put on an episode. I found other things to watch.

So, now it's summer, and I have the whole season sitting, waiting. I realized that now is as good a time as any to start the show. I don't really have anything else to watch.

And you know what? I like it.

As of this writing, I'm six episodes in. And I can't figure out why I waited so long to start it. If you saw the Scott Bakula Quantum Leap, this is a sequel. They reference Sam Beckett and the previous show quite a lot. But if you never saw the previous iteration, you won't be missing too much as the important stuff is referenced to catch us all up. (It's been decades since I watched it last.) 

What I like is something that modern shows do, and that's they expand the universe. (They did something similar with the now-defunct Fantasy Island reboot/sequel.) The original Quantum Leap was all about Sam and Al and the leap of the week. This one gets out of the imaging chamber and explores the modern day side of the experiment. 

I'm glad to hear there's a second season coming. At least now that I've started the thing, I should watch the show as it airs next season. (I got over the hurdle of starting.) 

Here's the trailer:

Did you already see this first season? Did you watch the original show? I'm still looking for TV recommendations, so have you seen anything interesting that I should check out?

13 comments:

  1. I watched the original QL with my mom, and I did start to watch the new one. I got a few episodes into it and then just never went back to it. Which is weird, because I was enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the original. I may have to watch the reboot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Sam or Al (Dean Stockwell has passed, which is mentioned in the show), but the leaps are pretty much on par with the original. You'll probably like it.

      Delete
  3. I was an original fan and so far have seen a few episodes of the reboot, and like it too. The original fantasy island---Ze plane, Ze plane! I like the new fantasy island better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, agreed. In the original Fantasy Island, Mr. Roarke was a cipher. Elena Roarke is way more of a person.

      Delete
  4. I didn't even know about this show. Thanks for putting it on my radar. I'll get around to watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never watched the original Quantum Leap and I'm not quite sure why. I didn't know this was rebooted and I see it's on Amazon Prime. Now I just need to find the time. It intrigues me because of the universe expansion into their modern time, due to my interest in SF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's funny is the original was set in the future (1995--future for then), but the reboot is set now. Which, I think, makes it easier to go into the "real world" as they don't have to invent a future.

      Delete
  6. Is that the show that ended with the title card saying how the main character never made it back home? Or am I thinking of another one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the original and had a major crush on Scott Bacula. He's such a great singer too. I watched the 1st 2 episodes and enjoyed it and have the rest taped. I do plan on watching the rest before Sept.
    I like documentaries so we have been watching " Incredible Engineering". It shows some pretty amazing buildings and how they were built.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that out. It sounds about my speed.

      Delete
  8. I watched the original when a channel aired episodes back to back one summer while I was unemployed. That science fiction network would air a different show every weekday and most made an enjoyable background as I cleaned house or exercised. I'm glad you're enjoying this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a good show. If you enjoyed it, you'll probably enjoy this reboot/sequel.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.