Tuesday, July 4, 2023

A Different Backyard BBQ

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

It's the 4th of July, a holiday here in the U.S. And it's a day we traditionally barbeque hamburgers and hot dogs. But, during my watching of The Food that Built America on the History Channel, I found out that "traditionally" goes back almost 100 years only. Before then, hamburgers and hot dogs weren't a thing. (It's an interesting episode if you're interested.)

Which brings me to today's question:

What if we didn't eat hamburgers and hot dogs? What if we had no idea what those foods were?

5 comments:

  1. I'd have no problems! I rarely eat either. Growing up, on hot summer days, my mother would cook chicken we later took on a picnic supper to a local reservoir/park. I can't recall ever having hot food (burgers or hotdogs) at picnics. I have a bbq (charcoal) that hasn't been used in years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't eat either so no biggie but..what you don't know, you don't miss

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did see that episode (or was it two different episodes? One that had to do with Weber grills, also?) - it's a great series, in my humble opinion. But anyway, my spouse and I would do just fine. He grills a lot of chicken. Growing up, we lived in a 4th floor apartment (no patio) so didn't have grilled food until I was in college (early 1970's).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was two different episodes. I'm referring to the one about Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs and White Castle. But yeah, the grill one applies as well.

      Delete
  4. That sounds like an interesting show. I'll have to see if we can watch. My husband eats a lot of hamburgers and hotdogs while I could take them or leave them.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.