Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Secret Protector

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

I posted about The Lazarus Project last week. Last week's question was inspired by the show. So is this week's.

What if you did something terrible to protect someone you love, and then after they left you? I won't specify the "terrible" something, but I will specify that you did not tell them what you had done. 

8 comments:

  1. Hurt would sat in, then I would get pissed....but really don't have to worry, not going to do anything terrible for anyone

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would feel that I was put in an impossible situation and feel devastated. I wouldn't blame the person I love because they wouldn't know what I did for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be mad. Doing "something terrible for" someone sounds like something pretty bad, illegal. I wouldn't go to those lengths to protect someone, even someone I loved. Self-defense, defending them, those wouldn't be "terrible" acts. I've always told my children when they were growing up, if they drove drunk I wasn't coming to bail them out. So, if I wouldn't do that, I wouldn't do worse to protect them! None of them ever drove drunk anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Lisa said above stands out I suppose: if they drove drunk I wasn't coming to bail them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have fictional characters that might face this dilemma. Hmmm... Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could hope I would never do anything terrible (Lisa's definition) but one never knows what life throws at you. Anger? guilt? I guess I wouldn't know unless it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd feel like a used fool, but I don't think I'd ever do anything like that in the first place.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.