Tuesday, July 18, 2023

The Do-Over

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

I started a new (to me) show last week (which I'll talk about tomorrow). One of the things that the characters experience is repeating time. Unlike Groundhog Day, the time period is longer than a day or a few hours. It's months sometimes. Which leads me to today's question:

What if you had to live the last six months over again? (Notice, I said "had to". This is not optional. No opting out.)

10 comments:

  1. If I knew it would repeat, I wouldn't bother starting seeds, as I wouldn't be able to see them to maturity! If I didn't know, then it wouldn't matter. Nothing noteworthy happened in the last six months, so I wouldn't be dreading it, or looking forward to it. I think it would be a pretty sad life though. If I HAD to, I would much rather not know it would happen. Then at least I could look forward to things, even if they never happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I know it will happen? (if yes, more ugh than if not.) If it was the past six months for me, it would include three trips I enjoyed so much plus a wedding, but also my bout with COVID. I'd have to rerun part of winter but then again, I could experience all the spring flowers. My poor garden! It would be a mixed experience for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're right! I'd have to have COVID over and over, and then another virus that took another month to get over. Nooooo!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Last six months been fairly easy.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thecontemplativecat here. Past 6 months ( and all of 2022) have been difficult. What would I do? Get full time help. We have had some awful health difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O, that's fine. I will gladly live those six months again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Six months over again I could handle. Surprisingly, I wouldn't do much differently. Perhaps take advantage of my time with Ava a little more, but otherwise I would not try to change any outcomes. Just make better stock choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It happens a lot during these last six months for me, the first year on my new job, with a new team, new students, new colleagues. I would change minor things, even my mistakes, because all the steps were necessary to know better each others and work well together now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the most part, I'd rather be deceased. But things are going better now. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.