Monday, July 24, 2023

Wrong Way Round

Last week I decided to shoot another video. The previous two videos I shot are still not edited together. But, I had to grab the opportunity to shoot a video when the quiet time I need happened to appear. 

This time I thought I would demonstrate my tablet buddy. (I created this pattern about ten years ago. The written pattern is available on Etsy and Ravelry.) 

While it's been a while since I knit one, I have my written out pattern, and I've made enough of them that I don't have to figure out the instructions as I work it. It would be simple.

Alas, I made several blunders. 

I think the most egregious was where I forgot which way around one knits. I picked up stitches all around the bottom, demonstrating how to do it on video. Then, I picked the thing up to show how to start that first row around, and I realized that I had picked up the stitches backward.

It's a short video. I pick it up, realize what I did, and I turn off the camera:

And then off screen I ripped out all those stitches and started again. Deep sigh.

I did actually finish the piece. It looks like this:

front view

the bottom of the piece

the back of the piece

Unfortunately, the video is not good. There are large parts where my hands are at the bottom of the screen, which I did not notice until I was reviewing what I shot the next day. And I cringe over sections where I misspeak. 

But, if I want to do this YouTube channel thing, I have to keep at it. I'll get better. It just takes practice. 

12 comments:

  1. At least you caught your error! I couldn't quite see what it was until I clicked the link you gave. Cute little things! Very handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they are. I didn't show it off more as I talked about them quite a lot when I first made them, and I didn't want to bore you all.

      Delete
  2. The tablet buddy! My mom still has hers and uses it all the time. It's a really great item.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is a tablet buddy? Ok, I'll look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pillow in the shape of a pyramid made to put your electronic devices on. I talked about it a lot when I made them ten years ago. I didn't want to bore everyone with them again.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure with time and practice you can make videos that you love. I really admire crafty people. I don't have the patience to learn. What's the largest one you've done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made them in three sizes. The largest would support a full sized tablet.

      Delete
  6. You’ll get better at this with practice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I need more practice on the videos. Maybe when things cool off a bit.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.