Monday, July 10, 2023

Leaving the Mistake

I picked up the pillow backing again. If you don't remember, back in April, I finished knitting the two skeins I had bought of a blanket yarn into what was going to be a body pillow cover. (I had bought the skeins for another project that I hated, so I ripped it out and repurposed the yarn.)

But two skeins wasn't quite enough to cover the pillow, so I bought some fabric (because I didn't want to buy more yarn) with the intent to sew a backing. Sort of. 

And then I set this aside and got busy (or not so busy) doing other things. Because blanket stitch.

Blanket stitch is a technique where the yarn is stitched to the outside of the fabric, so I can pick up and crochet or knit around the fabric. It'll make sense once I get it done and post pictures. 

But, I set this all aside in April and have been ignoring it. Until last week.

I made a bit of progress.

Blanket stitch looks like this:

However, when I picked this back up after three months, I wasn't paying close attention to what I had done before, and I reversed the stitch...

By the time I had realized what I had done, it was going to be too much work to redo, so I'm leaving it. Can you see where I goofed? 

No? It's hard in the photo. I'd edit the photo to point it out, but I can't see it here either.

And, once I stitch around this, it probably won't be obvious. The stitches are hand sewn, and that's kind of the look of it anyway. Besides, it's time to get this thing done.

Blanket stitch takes time. It's slow going for me. Hopefully, I'll get this whole thing complete sooner rather than later. 

I'll post updates when I have them.

21 comments:

  1. I think it will turn out better than fine. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more just irked at myself for not buying a third skein so that the whole thing was knitted. Now, I just want to get this done.

      Delete
  2. I never heard of blanket stitch, but it sounds cool. And it looks good to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can't see it than maybe it's not there.. looks pretty good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally can't, but of course I don't know what I'm looking for. I think that means it's not anything to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one should notice. If they do, then they just can't use the pillow! If I do see the mistake, it's not very noticeable, and I might be imagining seeing it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you found it. It's not terribly noticeable, especially once I start stitching around the outside.

      Delete
  6. Looks beautiful to me. And no, I can't see where the error occurred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, it's hard to see in the pic.

      Delete
  7. Like many said above, it looks good to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm no expert on this so I'd say that's still better than what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you would be capable of this. Once someone showed you how.

      Delete
  9. I think you'll be able to hide the mistake and I also think most people wouldn't have been able to see it, anyway. You'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going on a pillow that lives on my bed. I'm certain I will be the only one who sees it.

      Delete
  10. It looks fine to me. You're being to critical of yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, it's there. It's a mistake. But, it won't be visible, and I'm the only one who's going to see it, so I'm good with leaving it in.

      Delete
  11. I agree with your previous answer: you will be the only one to notice, and as it's very subtle, you won't soon be able to find the place ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That reminds me of my knitting yesterday. I started a new project and kept screwing up the beginning and had to restart about 3 times.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.