Monday, April 17, 2023

Notes for Next Time

I decided to use fabric for the back of the pillow cover.

Although, I'm second guessing myself now.

Not on the fabric back, but kind of on how I've measured things.

That is about how much more length I need to get the cover around the full pillow, minus a couple inches. Rather than sewing the fabric directly to the knitted portion, I'm doing a blanket stitch around the edge of the fabric. Then, I'll crochet around the fabric so that I'm sewing yarn to yarn.

It'll make more sense once I've completed the blanket stitching. (It's a similar technique to when I made myself some masks a couple years ago.) 

At this point, I know what I'd do differently were I to do this over. 

1. It takes about three skeins to cover the pillow. I had two.

(I ripped out the thing I originally bought this yarn to make, so I did have two almost complete skeins for the cover.) 

2. If I'm only going to cover half the pillow, measure better. I mean, right now I could rip back what I have so that it's only the front half of the pillow, but that just seems like too much work. 

I think the fabric is going to end up on the bottom of the pillow, but we'll see when I get that far. It's going to take a while to get the blanket stitching done, and then crocheting around the edges. I'll have a better idea of what I want to do once that part is complete.

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

13 comments:

  1. The experimenting is part of the fun. I don't think I've ever done blanket stitch so I had to go look it up. I don't have ambition for these kinds of projects at this point in time. I do have to get cracking on my temperature afghan - I'm still stuck in February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem with a temperature blanket, you have to keep on top of it. I have weeks where I don't touch the yarn, so I'm quite content to not work on things that need to be worked on once a day.

      Delete
  2. I now live with a cat in the house. My friend Meg was over watching shows with me and knitting, and the cat was really fascinated by the yarn, batting at it with his paws. Your post above reminded me of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thecontemplativecat here. I have a quilt to finish, and you inspired me to get cracking on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to let these projects fall by the wayside.

      Delete
  4. Sound interesting.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss the fact that you're doing AtoZ? Well, obviously because I've not been doing a lot of visiting due to chaos. I'll have to read back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or it could be that I didn't decide to do it until, like, March 29th.

      Delete
  6. The blanquet stitch is a great idea to join the fabric and the knit. Whatever your choice to finish it, it's going to be a soft and cozy pillow!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.