Monday, May 4, 2020

A Knit Fabric Mask

About a month ago, I knit myself a face mask...


I'm not terribly fond of it, but it does the job. (We're required to wear masks if we want to go to the grocery store.)

But, I knew I could do better. So, I went to Pinterest again. I was specifically looking for sewing pattern templates that I could try to duplicate in knitting.

I found something better.

Someone had come up with a way to take some fabric and attach crochet ties to it--all without doing any sewing.

(I mean, I can sew. I have a sewing machine. But it's such a hassle to set the whole thing up to make one mask. And my sewing skills aren't up to making a bunch of masks for others.)

Upon perusing the instructions (which are here, if you're interested) and watching the video, I realized that the trick was blanket stitch. I have seen this done to add knitting or crochet to fabric before (and, in fact, you can just use thread for the blanket stitch and attach the yarn through that). Which meant that I could knit this as easily as crocheting it.

So, I dug out my fabric stash, heated up the iron, and pinned it as per the instructions. Then, instead of following the procedure in the post, I knit up a couple rows on each side, and then I knit a couple I-cords that I tacked down to the knit sides.


Alas, when I tried it on, it's a little tight...


...but that's fixable. I just need to make the ties a bit longer. Although, it fits so snugly that I might be overthinking this. Whatever. It works.

I'm considering doing another, but this time I'll cut the fabric 9 inches by 16 inches as this felt a bit small. Although, looking at the picture, I might just be feeling like this is small because my other one is so much bigger...

I have a couple other projects I could be working on, so we'll see what I end up doing. At least now I feel like I can competently make a mask, unlike what I had going before.

Edited to add: The evening after writing this post, I decided to make the ear ties about an inch longer. In the disassembling, I managed to destroy all the knitting, so I had to do the whole thing over. This only took about an evening, and the look hasn't changed at all. But, that inch on either side was just enough to ease the fit, so now I'm quite happy with this mask.

27 comments:

  1. Glad you found something that you like and were able to make work for you. I was doing the bandana thing—looking like I was about to rob a stagecoach in the Old West—but we have much better masks now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great. You are fashionable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great mask! I like this one combining fabric and knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That came out super cute. I like the style and the use of knitting and fabric. Great job on that (even if it required some redoing).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your face-mask looks super cool. I'm glad you were able to make it a bit less tight, but sorry you had to do the knitting bit all over again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting the measurements right is always the trickiest part.

      Delete
  6. I really like the second one. Yep, right now it is a suggestion that you wear a mask when out but....only a suggestion. You see we have a Gov that was really late in the game at calling the lock down and jumping at the bit to have done and over with but we have a mayor that is taking things slower at opening the city and he was way on top of the Gov about wanting to shut the town down. But, I will wear mine like I do when going out. I also have been hearing and reading that you should not wear one for more than 30 mins and that it is actually hard on the respiratory system if you wear it longer. I can tell you as someone with asthma, I will wear it, but after a few mins, I can tell how hard it is on my lungs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is hard to breathe through. But if everyone wears them, it cuts down on the possibility of transmission. I'd rather wear a mask than get the dread Covid.

      Delete
  7. Are you going to make some for your Etsy shop? Drove by someone who was selling masks made from fabric. They were charging 12 dollars a mask. Yours looks great!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job, Liz. It must be tough for people who can't sew or knit etc. We don't have to wear masks, but we managed to buy a pack to keep "just in case".

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks beautiful and different from everyone else! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen the crocheted masks and knew I could never wear one comfortably but your fabric AND knitting mask is very cool and I could definitely wear it. Thank you for sharing. I'm off to find your french knot post. I swear they will be the death of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Here, I can locate the post for you: https://lawsofgravity.blogspot.com/2015/07/french-knot-fail.html

      Delete
  11. Very fashionable and practical. It looks good

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I like this one. It looks more snug around your nose and chin. If it's tight around the ears, though, you might want to do one with longer straps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. It fits just fine now. I'm quite happy with it.

      Delete
  13. Very nice! Sorry you had to start over, but glad the results turned out so well. :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could totally do the crochet version. I know you were looking for a way to make them.

      Delete
  14. That is awesome! I think I can actually do that. I can't sew, and have absolutely hated it every time I've tried, but I can iron and I think I can do the crochet part of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trickiest part is getting the blanket stitch into the fabric. Everything else is pretty simple.

      Delete
  15. I like the colors you chose. I don't know why the colors and the mask look/style reminds me of the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.