Wednesday, May 6, 2020

All the Cancelled


Two Sundays ago, God Friended Me had it's series finale. Which got me thinking about my occasional Wednesday "feature", the under the radar TV show.

Not too long ago, I pulled up the list of the TV shows I've featured. Let's just say many of them are no longer on the air. Sigh.

Although, the premise of the topic was for me to highlight shows I enjoy that aren't getting much of an audience.

So, in the spirit of we're-still-in-lockdown and you-might-be-looking-for-something-to-watch, I thought I'd see if any of the cancelled shows are available for streaming someplace. Now might be a good time for a short, self-contained season or two of a random TV show. (Links are to my post talking about the show.)

  • No Tomorrow: Netflix. The show did manage a wrap up at the end, so no cliffhangers.
  • Humans: Amazon Prime. The finale of season 3 did have a couple things that could have been continued, but it's mostly finished. 
  • Frequency: Netflix. Based on the movie of the same name, it also offered a conclusion once it was cancelled. I highly recommend it.
  • Longmire: Netflix. Once I finally got Netflix, the first show I watched was this. It finished with six total seasons, so this is a bit longer than the other shows on this list. A great modern day western.
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: Hulu. Based on the Douglas Adams' books. Very, very weird. Each of its two seasons were self-contained stories, so no cliffhangers.
  • The Brave: It appears you can purchase it, but it's not just streaming anywhere. Maybe NBC still has it on its servers. This one, alas, did end with a cliffhanger, so I only include it for completeness. 
  • The Gifted: Hulu. This managed to get two seasons, but that second season wasn't as great as the first. If memory serves, it ended on a cliffhanger, so caution. 
  • Genius: Hulu. I only caught the Einstein season. There's also a Picasso season. I might have to check that one out... 
  • God Friended Me: Amazon Prime, CBS All Access. The show that started this post. They did wrap it up nicely, so no cliffhanger. And two seasons, so there are a few episodes to watch.
  • American Princess: Here's another that you can purchase but not just stream. It was cute. I had hoped for a second season. There was a slight cliffhanger, so it's probably for the best that it's not streaming for free somewhere. 

Yikes, with that record, I'd hesitate before starting anything I recommended last month. I hope I'm wrong. But I suppose most shows only last a season or two. And if you're looking for something new to watch, these were worth the time. 

Okay, your turn. What's a good cancelled TV show to watch streaming someplace? Summer is coming, and we're all going to need something to keep us entertained.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list! I'm running out of Netflix enthusiasm and could use something new to distract me in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like westerns, start with Longmire. Frequency was excellent sci fi.

      Delete
  2. Travelers. I really enjoyed this show and wish there was more of it *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I was going to start Ozark the next time I get on Netflix. These though should take me through to Christmas if I watched them all!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not often that you have a list of shows, and I haven't seen ANY of them. Man, I really need to find my focus again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched some of Longmire. Firefly would top my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Firefly. ~sigh~ It deserved more episodes. Another Josh Whedon gem (before he got into all the super hero movie stuff) is 'Angel', a spin-off of the 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' series. And we were huge fans of 'Brimstone' back in the day. Be well and stay safe!

      Delete
  6. Sometimes it's better for things to be cancelled before they turn into zombie shows. There are far too many of those still lumbering along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have an awesome list of shows. I've watched some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the movie Frequency and had no idea there was a series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is available to watch differs quite a bit in Oz, and also where to watch, which is why I won't recommend anything. EG I am still watching God Friended Me (they just aired S2E19).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I not only watched Longmire, I met the author, he signed my book and took a pic with me. :) - I love all of these on the fringes shows. I tend to watch those too. So many good ones out there. I just started watching a new one Upload on Amazon, so far I'm loving it. So many of the good shows got cancelled and yet the Kartrashians remain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look out for Upload, although I don't get Amazon. My father does, so once I can visit him again...

      Delete
  11. I like The White Queen (Amazon) and it was just one season. I love The Office (Netflix). I don't know if it's still on Netflix, but I liked Hart of Dixie. We're currently re-watching Big Bang Theory on my sister's Amazon account. I'm not a total mooch; she and I share passwords and watch each other's stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and Home Fires, on Amazon. It's great, but there's a cliffhanger.

      Delete
    2. I watched Hart of Dixie on the CW. The town's mayor is on Black Lightning now.

      Delete
  12. I'm starting to run out of new things to watch, actually, that I'm interested in. Which might mean more time for writing, so I'll take it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you haven't watched Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist on NBC, you might give it a try. The main character hears people expressing their emotional problems through song. Nobody hears them singing but her, and she has to help them resolve their anguish before the hour is up. I didn't think I'd like it. Now I hope it comes back for a second season.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.