Wednesday, June 28, 2017

No Tomorrow


The idea behind doing posts about TV shows that you might have missed started with No Tomorrow. The show got practically no press coverage even though it was cute, quirky, and a little odd. Sadly but unsurprisingly, the CW cancelled it after one season. But it's still available on Netflix, and if you need 13 hours of something to watch, this is well worth your time.

Xavier (with the X pronounced like a Z) discovered that an asteroid is on a collision course with Earth, and it will hit in about 8 months. After exhausting every possible way of getting the information out there (and being blocked at every turn), he's decided that if these are his last days on Earth, he's going to get the most he can out of them.

But the series is not about Xavier. It's actually about Evie. Evie is one of those spunky heroines that TV loves to trot out. She works in a place that's kind of a cross between Wal-Mart and Amazon. She has the requisite odd coworkers. Her sister and parents make an appearance. (Ted McGinley!) Plus her ex-boyfriend is also a regular cast member. (How many shows can say that?)

Evie meets Xavier, and while she thinks the whole asteroid thing is crazy, she's good with making lists, so she makes her own bucket list to go along with Xavier's. And while the show is ostensibly about them crossing things off those lists, it's actually more about Evie and her world.

And I'm not even hitting on what happens on the show. It's silly. It's sweet. It's upbeat. (Yes, it's an upbeat show where a main character is expecting the world to end in 8 months.) And it's a nice, light hour-long dramedy.

Strangely enough, I didn't want to watch it at the beginning. I started recording it, but it collected on my DVR for 7 or 8 episodes before I finally started watching. (It was around December, and I was caught up on all my other shows.) I was caught up within a week. And I was on top of the remaining episodes as they aired.

I was not surprised that it got cancelled. But I was pleasantly surprised when at the announcement of its cancellation, a bonus epilogue was released. They had ended on a cliffhanger (which I thought stupid at the time as I was pretty sure the show was doomed) that I was certain would never be resolved. But those added couple minutes tied up the loose ends, and now the show feels like a self-contained thing.

So, with the regular season's shows all gone for the summer, if you need something to watch, here's a little something to keep you entertained.

Have you seen No Tomorrow already? Had you heard of it before this?

27 comments:

  1. I've heard of this show, but never watched it. I'm glad they managed to wrap it up, even after the fact. When it ended, I wondered if they had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of this show, I'll have to consider it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cute. Worth it if you're looking for something to watch.

      Delete
  3. I hadn't heard of it either (and I'm a pretty avid TV watcher). -curious about it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the idea--finding shows you may have missed.

      Delete
  4. I watched it once it hit Netflix, and found it enjoyable. I'll admit it was Joshua Sasse that drew me to the show in the first place, because I absolutely fell in love with Galavant. But Evie made the show great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this show. But it sounds like a fun show to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to look for it. Nice they let them wrap up the ending. Sucked when Firefly was cancelled after one season but at least the movie Serenity brought it all to a close.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hadn't heard of it before, I'll check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of it before. Too bad it got canceled. It's an interesting premise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not even heard of it but will look this up for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reminds me of another series they are advertising about an asteroid in collision course with the earth that is going to air this summer. Does sound interesting and glad some loose ends got cleared up. We are foolishly going to watch the season premiere tomorrow of Zoo just to see where it is going to go after out last year's finale ended.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wait between each season for the start of the next seasons shows. I am waiting for The Zoo now, and The Last Ship. I am into Orphan Black right now. Next seasons line up is Supernatural. I love that show. Watching reruns right now! Not seen the show you are talking about though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, Orphan Black... That's one wild show, isn't it?

      Delete
    2. Totally different. I started watching it then I pulled away for a couple of yrs. The guy I was seeing did not have cable, so I missed more then I saw and I could never remember to set it to record! DUH..

      Delete
    3. I think BBC America has them OnDemand or on their app, so you can get caught up if you like. I know I have trouble keeping up, and I've seen every episode.

      Delete
  12. It's always a blessing to get closure for a program. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't think this has made the leap across the Pacific. Although it may have and I am just walking around with my head elsewhere. We do get most of the American TV shows, eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if you get our shows streaming somehow. It seems like we get all sorts of interesting imports that way.

      Delete
  14. I get so mad when a series ends on a cliffhanger because of cancellations. That's really awesome they were able to do a little pull together in the end.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.