Thursday, June 15, 2017

Graduation Daydream


Nine years ago now it was. I was working the last day of school. (The teacher was attending her child's 8th grade promotion.) I had the door open. It was passing period, and I could hear the students just outside. One girl said to her friends, "We're seniors now". It wasn't exactly true as they still had three periods to go, but the seniors had had their graduation ceremony the night before, so they were the oldest students at the school at that point. 

I had a prep period then. And I was beat. So, I leaned back, closed my eyes, and I tried to doze. The girl's comment replayed, and I imagined a scene...

It starts with a stage filled with teens in caps and gowns. A graduation ceremony. The new graduates look over the audience filled with proud parents. They're excited. They've finally finished school, and they're looking forward to the next phase of their lives.

The new graduates exit at the side of the stage. They hug each other. Many are in tears. They meet up with parents, take pictures, and gradually leave the area.

The stage is empty, but not for long.

Off to the other side of the stage is another group of students a year younger than those who just exited. They climb the stairs and claim the stage for themselves.

The new senior class surveys its domain. Some look in corners. Others go to the edge of the stage and peer out at the audience. Many are cheering, fist pumping, and bouncing up and down. Two boys run at each other and bump chests. They have arrived.

While the new senior class celebrates, the area just off the stage that was just vacated starts to fill. This group looks around in awe and wonder. A few look up the steps, itching to join the new seniors. Several look out over the line that stretches out behind them. It's a long line and it seems to disappear into the horizon.

As each group moves up to the next position, they look over their new surroundings. The new freshman class, however, is so busy celebrating and laughing at the group just below them that they don't notice how trashed their new position is. Then again, their old spot in the line wasn't much better.

The newest middle schoolers carefully take up their new position. They are all wide-eyed wonder. The more adventurous pull their peers along. They take their time looking around, acclimating to their new position in line. There's a demarcation behind them, and they thought they'd never get beyond that border. Now that they are, they're not sure what they're going to do next.

Each elementary grade moves up one. As the former kindergartners take their first grade spot (and make themselves right at home), an empty spot is left at the end of the line. But like all the other spots in line, this one doesn't remain empty for long.

Off in the distance, family groups start to arrive. The parents push their little ones into their spot in line. Some of these children run to take over their spot. Others cling. The families stand there, watching their little ones for some time, not sure what to do next.

One mother shakes her head as she watches her little one acclimate to the line. "They grow up so fast," she says.

Nearby, various people are on their way out of the area. One woman hears the kindergartner's mother, so she turns to her and says, "You have no idea." The woman looks off into the distance where her graduate is off with friends.

"You have no idea," the woman repeats.

And the cycle begins again. Happy end of the school year.

22 comments:

  1. My great nephew graduated 8th grade last night. I told my niece she'll be surprised how fast the next four years go in high school. They do grow up so fast!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is cool. I like the idea of the next class taking the stage after the seniors leave it. That is totally awesome. Nope, we don't do that here. Now I would only think the JR.s should be the only group to go up. Yes, they grow up way to fast. I am not OLD by any means but my oldest grandson just turned 16 in Oct. and my oldest child (his mom) is 36. My baby will be 30 next month. After raising them, retiring and trying to have a life from pain you sit and wonder....wow, where did those yrs go? There seems to be so many years that seem like you blinked and they were gone and you try to remember what you have done through that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In reality there isn't that line. It's just the daydream I had that one day.

      Delete
  3. It's so weird that back when I was in school I thought it took FOREVER for each year to pass. Now it feels like it's on fast forward >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's due to how each year is a smaller and smaller part of our whole lifetime.

      Delete
  4. The end always sneaks up on me. It's only my mom who's in school, and even that goes quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the end of the year always seems to be on fast forward.

      Delete
  5. Time does sneak away. Those seniors will be amazed when this day occurs once more in college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll be a bit more prepared for it, then. We hope, anyway.

      Delete
  6. It seems to me the late teens and early twenties is the most difficult phase because they have to figure out what they're going to do with their lives. However, I always loved it when my kids are on summer vacation. (I have a 17 year old and a 23 year old.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a momentous time that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The end in one way and the beginning in many other ways

    ReplyDelete
  9. An excellent summary of what it is like! In many ways, we keep moving to that next spot all our lives. Careers, marriage, children of our own, grandkids, aging parents, health issues, great grand children, retirement, death.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz - the cycle of life, of school, of university and of each job, and thus career ... I could see your classes moving across the stage ... have a good break and Summer - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite the adventure :) It really is amazing how fast it goes.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.