Friday, June 9, 2017

Enemy Sub


Remember the boy from "Rolling Starbursts"? He remembers me. Unfortunately.

Seventh period math at the continuation high school. The bell rang. Then Terrence walked in.

"Are you going to mark me tardy?"

Well, of course.

"But I had to walk by the basketball courts..."

The continuation high school is not large. They have a four minute passing period. You can make it from the office to the classroom I was in (the farthest anyone ever has to travel) in about a minute. (Which I had to do earlier that same day.) So, there's really no excuse to be late.

Ah, but now I'm the enemy, so Terrence refused to do any work. And he was still angry that I told his science teacher about his game. (I asked if he had gotten into trouble. He admitted that he hadn't. So, why this animosity?)

As I was leaving for the day, I mentioned the tardy thing to the secretary. (It was an "isn't this funny" incident that I couldn't not share.) "I guess Terrence hates me."

Her reply: "There aren't very many people Terrence does like."

Oh. Suddenly Terrence's behavior makes a whole lot more sense. (And since I'm likely to forget all about this until I see Terrence again and he reminds me, as he had to remind me of the "Rolling Starbursts" as I hadn't remembered it was him until he said something, this won't trouble me too much.)

Note: If you live in Alaska, West Virginia, Nevada, Arizona, Maine, Louisiana, Tennessee, Ohio, Colorado, South Carolina, Arkansas, or Pennsylvania and are against the ACHA (and seriously, this is one bad bill; it will hurt everyone), would you take a moment and call your Senator(s)? Please. If you're not sure why or what to do, take a look at this post for links. 

32 comments:

  1. And it doesn't surprise me that Terrance doesn't like very many people. He probably isn't very liked either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you know he's not singling you out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There you go, its not you! He don't like anyone! Oh my....does Calif. do yr round school? Cause here in TN our schools are on summer break! Hey....WELCOME to Friday! Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. You guys get out early. We've got another week.

      Delete
  4. Here in New York summer break doesn't start until the end of June. But the kids have been crazy since Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. End of June? Wow, you guys go late. And here I thought mid-June was late comparatively.

      Delete
  5. Some people are just filled with animosity. It's sad to see it in a younger individual...but it unfortunately gives a sign as to what is to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pain. Sounds like somebody isn't good at making friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad. Too bad. I hope, with maturity, he will experience an attitude adjustment. Sometimes they do but that doesn't help you. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can hope. And if I ever find out, I'll be sure to update.

      Delete
  8. At least it's not just you. I hope he realizes, sooner rather than later, that he should treat others with more kindness and respect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I leave messages for Sen Harris a fair amount. I understand that she's on our side, but I am told that the no. of calls are tallied, so I guess it's good for their record keeping? The way the GOP are going about this is very upsetting.

    Does it make Terrence's behavior less bothersome to know you're on a very long list of folk who bug him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my MoC, who's also on our side, published calls for and against on FB. It's good that they know they have our support.

      It did help to know that it wasn't just me he hated.

      Delete
  10. Poor Terence. He's making his own life a misery. And all his teachers' no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This guy sounds like an expert at passing along the stress of his bad decisions to others. Hope you don't take it to heart. Of course, as a teacher, this sort of thing drove me bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was going to say: this kid sounds like he's just sort of mad at the world. It's not personal. Glad you heard it from someone who really knows. Sad that he's probably made a lot of people's days miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he's mad at the world then his world is much more bleak than mine.

      Delete
  13. Why you old meanie! Poor Terrance is in for a rude awakening if he keeps expecting everyone to overlook or excuse his failures.
    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  14. Makes you wonder how much Terrance has suffered at the hands of others.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Terrence sounds more like a middle schooler. It always seemed to me that most kids tried to act mature once in high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends. This was at the continuation high school, so many of them weren't the most responsible of high schoolers to begin with.

      Delete
  16. Seems like it's nothing personal, at least. Hopefully he'll grow out of it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.