Thursday, June 22, 2017

Bygones


For the penultimate day of school, I was once again at the continuation high school. (I did not work the last day of school this year.) The kiddos had an assignment, but very few of them chose to do it. In fact, very few of them chose to come to school at all.

(I think this is why the traditional high schools give students finals. It keeps them coming to class and makes them try for those last few days.)

I was basically on crowd control. Well, if you consider a class of seven to be a "crowd".

2nd period. I pointed out the assignment. A couple of them even got out books and paper.

"Remember when you pulled that knife on me? I wanted them to expel you for that."

This is not the sort of statement that is usually accompanied with laughter. But there was no anger in Julio's voice. He seemed to be in instigating mode. Waiting to see if I'd have to intervene, I just listened in.

"You stole my pizza," Daniel replied.

This is when Julio noticed that I was listening, so he explained.

Back when the boys were in middle school, they were in home ec. together. One day the assignment was pizza. They cooked it. At the end of the period, they each got a slice.

You know when you take a slice of pizza how sometimes a bit of the tip of an adjoining piece gets stuck to it? Julio's slice had a bit of Daniel's slice's tip attached.

So, Daniel demanded that Julio give him back that little bit of pizza. Julio refused. Daniel grabbed a butter knife and held it to Julio's ribs...

They didn't tell me what happened after that. Apparently the teacher called for backup as it sounds like the issue got resolved with school administrators.

"If I could forgive you for that..." Julio said to Daniel.

Apparently, this is one of those funny stories that they like to remember. At least they can laugh about it. If they were still angry at each other...

18 comments:

  1. When I first read the part about the knife, I'm thinking oh no this isn't going to end well, but to hear the story later, it does sound kind of cute when looking back on it, however, not at the time. Perhaps this is one of the events that helped shape the students' path to continuation school.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't get the loss of control to the point the kid drew a knife, albeit a butter knife all for a piece of pizza. Thank God it was not a regular knife. At least they can laugh but geez!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It seems a bit extreme for the circumstance. But knowing those two boys... Yeah, I can see it.

      Delete
  3. Geez, people will do anything for pizza. He's lucky he didn't get expelled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gives me a small case of...I don't know what... Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't want to know what they spent the rest of the period talking about.

      Delete
  5. I like pizza, just not sure I would pull a butter knife on someone for a piece! haha....hoping it was a plastic one at that cause here in TN, that would have been an issue that got you thrown out of school.....zero tolerance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even a plastic butter knife... I'm surprised that he didn't get expelled. I'm assuming a suspension was involved, though.

      Delete
  6. Okay. That's pretty funny that they can laugh about it. Thank you for sharing. I appreciate the chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny which stories become lore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder how that one will turn out. I hope orange suits him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Although, seriously, if he doesn't calm down, that's a possibility.

      Delete
  9. I actually know a kid that got hurt while using a butter knife. It still blows my mind how this could happen. Butter knives aren't that sharp…

    … And wait. They gave the kids in middle school an actual butter knife? I mean I get that the class was home ec and that they were cooking pizza, but I guess I would have expected the teacher to handle any slicing that happened … and the kids to only get, at best, plastic butter knives. Then again, you didn't say it was a metal butter knife. I suppose the threat could have come from a plastic one? *shrugs*

    Now I want pizza. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did not specify whether it was metal or plastic. I'm assuming plastic, but then again, I have no idea. They're taught proper kitchen technique, so I would think not using kitchen utensils as a weapon was part of that.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.