Friday, June 23, 2017

The School Year by the Numbers


It's that time of year again, where I go back into my files and tally up what classes I covered this year. It was a pretty busy year.

Of the 180 school days, I worked 163. This is up two days over last year. This number does not include the days I worked for summer school (12 four hour days) nor the days I worked at the continuation high school in August before the school year officially began (7 days).

Of those 163 days, I didn't get a prep period for 78 of them. On 64 days I covered an extra period, while on 14 days, the teacher I covered didn't have a prep period.

77 of those days I covered high school classes, 42 of those days I was covering middle school, and 30 of those days I was at the continuation high school. It's interesting how year after year, the percentage of each stays roughly the same.

I didn't work the first day of school nor the last. But, I covered the second day of school and the penultimate day of school, which is kind of unusual for me.

More specifically:
  • English: 55 days and 8 extra periods
    • This year's winner: 11th grade with 21 days and 4 single periods. 
      • I count a "full day" when the teacher has at least 2 periods of that level. A "single period" means the teacher has a different level the whole day, or I covered it on the prep period. 
    • Runner up is 12th grade with 15 days plus 8 single periods.
    • In 3rd place is advanced ELD with 8 full days plus 14 single periods.
    • Then 9th grade with 9 days/4 single periods; 10th grade with 7 days/6 single periods; intermediate ELD with 6 days/1 single period; 7th grade with 5 days/1 single period; 8th grade with 3 days/3 single periods; and beginning ELD with 1 single period
  • Science: 41 days and 13 extra periods
    • This year's winner: 7th grade life science with 16 days and 2 single periods
    • Runner up is Earth science with 15 days and 1 extra period. This is not surprising as most of those days were that one class I covered before and after winter break.
    • Then: biology with 13 days/4 single periods; health with 9 days/4 single periods; intro to health careers with 6 days; forensics/criminalistics with 5 days/2 single periods; environmental science with 4 days/4 single periods; chemistry and physics both with 2 days; and 8th grade physical science with 1 day/5 single periods. 
    • (Wait, one day of 8th grade science? That has to be a record. I'm usually in those classes quite a bit more.)
  • Social Studies: 30 days and 10 extra periods
    • This year's winner: 11th grade U.S. history with 10 days and 1 single period
    • Runner up is 12th grade economics with 8 days.
    • Third place is a tie of 7 days for both 7th grade world history and 8th grade U.S. history.
    • Then 12th grade government with 6 days/3 single periods; 10th grade world history with 4 days/2 single periods; 9th grade geography with 3 days; and the continuation high school's orientation at 3 days/1 single period
  • Math: 32 days and 10 extra periods
    • This year's winner: Integrated Math I (which replaced algebra 1) with 18 days and 5 single periods
    • Runner up is Integrated Math II (which replaced geometry) with 11 days and 6 single periods
    • Then 7th grade math with 6 days/1 single period; algebra 2 with 4 days/5 single periods; 8th grade math with 3 days/4 single periods; and business math with 3 days/1 single period
  • Special Education: 16 days and 21 extra periods
    • Note: These days overlap with the above numbers as I would cover something like a special ed. biology class. Or, I'd be a co teacher for 7th grade math. 
    • Of those days, 7 days/8 single periods were RSP (as in, co teacher); 5 days/9 single periods were in SDC (or self-contained special ed.); and 3 days/4 single periods with classes that were... pretty low academics wise.
  • Miscellany: 
    • 3 single periods ASB
    • 8 single periods school newspaper (both at the continuation high school and the traditional high school)
    • Art: 4 days/2 single periods
    • One single period of theater, two single periods of choir, and one single period of music appreciation. (Kinda grateful that I didn't have any middle school band horror stories this year.)
    • Two single periods of sports (I think they were both golf this year) and one period of P.E.
    • Spanish: 1 day/2 single periods
    • Business and/or computers: 5 days/3 single periods
    • And one period of "roving" where I covered two different classes in one period. (I was supposed to cover three classes, but the other two teachers took too long.)
Looking back at this, it's funny what I do remember and what I don't. I guess that's why I write the blog.

I cherry pick the stories I use. I go for "interesting". So, it may seem like the kiddos are wild, do no work, or aren't learning anything. But as you can see from the above, I worked far more days than I mentioned on this blog. Those are the days where everything goes right, the kiddos behave well, and progress towards educational goals are met.

This is a yearly reminder that the educational system isn't so bleak, and kids today are much like kids of the past.

Happy summer.

Previous years' stats:

29 comments:

  1. Wow! Do you keep all this for your files or does the school system provide at least some of the information? Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always kept a calendar for my info (although I say it's a backup in case the district loses my paperwork). When I started doing these posts, I began keeping a tally sheet for the year.

      Delete
  2. It's really interesting to see a sub's stat sheet. I never really thought about it before I started following your blog, but a full time sub must have to be very flexible with all the different places they go and subjects they cover. You must have to know a bit about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this post interesting, I'm going to guess it's because I'm in Accounting and like numbers haha You had a busy year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad. I expect this to be fairly dry and boring, so it's nice to hear you found something in it.

      Delete
  4. So are there any plans to be a regular teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a busy year! I know I've asked before and I know you've said it before, but...how will your summer be?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is impressive how you have documented everything which I think is important. It shows how busy you have been no how much you had to live by the seat of your pants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that variety. It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

      Delete
  7. You were busy and you kept great notes. So....I hope you have a vacation of some sort planned out for your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with the comment from Cindy. Are you going to get a regular classroom or do you like subbing? You certainly do get a variety of assignments subbing and great blog fodder! Arizona has a teacher's shortage (of course they don't pay very well and our school scores aren't the best). They are even relaxing the policies a bit on who can substitute. Conversely in the Virginia area just outside of Washington, DC my niece can't get a teaching assignment for 2 years in a row and has been subbing (albeit consistently working). Tight market there. She's hoping this is the year she'll get a full time assignment, along with her boyfriend, as I think they want to move forward with their relationship, i.e., marriage, but don't want to unless both are full time employed.

    Have a great summer! Plans to work any summer school?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Liz - fascinating to see all that you've covered and it's good to know that education is, essentially, doing a fine job - and I'm glad you give us stories that are interesting ... congratulations on keeping records ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly had a busy year! I didn't know substitute teachers worked that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering that many days there weren't enough subs to cover all the teachers who were out, we could work more...

      Delete
  11. Such a great post! A lot of thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Liz, welcome to the holidays. I hope you have something cool planned. Are you happy doing the Sub work or are you hoping for a permanent spot?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find it fascinating that you keep such detailed records! Have you ever caught yourself wishing the kids would give you a little something worth posting?
    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like your highest tally is in English.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that's a lot of days! Neat that you keep such stats on it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. For some reason it never occurred to me that subs were so...multifaceted. For whatever reason, despite your stories, I always imagined that subs were focused towards a given subject; but now I see you really are all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some do stick to one subject or area. Since I refuse to cover elementary school, I've tried to be flexible within the ages I cover.

      Delete
  17. That's a lot of work days! I wouldn't have guessed you'd be that busy, but I suppose if you're working in a big enough school district, it makes sense. Both of my daughters mention substitutes all the time now that I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know what it's like where you are obviously, but over here we have more substitute teachers than we can shake a stick at. Someone getting that much work (heck, even half that much) must be pretty highly respected. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I know some areas that are hurting for full time teachers. I guess it's just an area thing.

      Delete
  19. Its neat your students don't want to let you down.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.